Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
My name is Viki and we just got a Chi, his name is Chico Bandito and is 10 weeks old. We are new to the breed and I am hoping to learn alot and make some friends along the way. Right now we are tackling the training issue, I can't really take him outside, we live in Canada and it's quite cold for the little guy, not to mention the snow. I never had issues training large breeds, but this one has it's challenges. I am using pee pads, which is not bad, but sometimes he doesn't poo on it. He is in a 4 x 4 pen with his bed, crate, food and pad.
No problems during the night, he sleeps alone and is fine. During the day we open the pen and let him run around, play and coax him to use the pads. I would say 50 % of the time he does well. Maybe he gets too exited and forgets????? Looking forward to using the forum.;)

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
So glad you joined. You are going to love your new little chi! I trained my Lulu to a puppy pad and that is all she still uses. She took to it very easily I think because when I saw her using it I clapped and said "good girl" and gave treat. She got to where she loved to go so she was rewarded. Then I staggered the reward until I eventually cut it out.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Welcome fellow Canadian! We had the same issue when we got our Odie. It was the middle of winter and she was too tiny to go out. Hopefully it will start warming up for you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome....glad to meet you all. Chico got his very first bath this evening, in the kitchen sink. Brings me back to the days when I gave my baby girls their baths in the sink... and now they are 20 and 21. Night night everyone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snow EH! Yeah I can't even imagine him going into the snow. He came from Florida,
come Spring, I will try to train him to go outside, and then keep the Pee Pad by the door!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Hi and welcome! He is such a cute little guy :)

Chi's can be slow learners when it comes to potty training - I have a 4 month old and she still forgets where the pads are once or twice a week so you may have a way to go with him. Just keep on praising and he will get it soon enough.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Welcome to the forum :D
Chico is a darling and I am sure you will have lots of happy times together

1 - 17 of 17 Posts