Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, Ok, I've never had a chihuahua before but am totally in love with my Wilbur! Anyway, here's my question...OH, and I've never had a boy dog either, so please don't think this is a weird question...

The "bad lady" that Wilbur came from said he was fixed. I thought that the obvious sign on a male being fixed is the absence of testes. Welll, little Mr. Wilbur still has them!! I can't see a scar either...So, the absence of testes, is that a fact or myth? Is there a better way to tell?

Second question is...He's 7 years old, if he isn't fixed, should I get him fixed a this age? I always get our dogs fixed w/o question and I don't plan to breed him but am wondering if it's a good idea.

Any info/opinions would be awesome=))

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have 3 boy dogs one is a chi pup so he hasn't been done, the other 2 have been and have no testes at all but no scar as I think the hair covers it. They are small and feel like marbles so if he has them I would have thought that he hadn't had them removed. Quick check at the bet would be able to tell you. I personally would get him done as it eliminates the urge and the possibility of running off to catch that female in heat that they can smell up to a mile away. As I said this is my own opinion and I don't claim to be a dog expert either!! Good luck I hope he settles in x

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
You won't see scars, but you will definitely see a scrotum containing 2 testes. Does he "mark", meaning cock his leg inside your home on furniture & stuff? If so, neutering can help with this although he's at a fairly ripe 'ol age to be getting neutered.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Are you sure you aren't seeing the bulbous glands? They are two small marble like glands on either side of the base of the penis. They swell up and look like "balls" during belly rubs, etc. They are part of the male dogs anatomy for mating and are not removed during a neuter. The scrotum holds the testicles which ARE removed during a neuter and they are located under the tail (between the base of the penis and the anus). So do some checking. If the lady you got him from said he was neutered, he probably is?? Or have a vet look at him. You'll have your answer immediately.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Also your Vet can tell you if he will be ok to have the surgery if it has not been done. I would also ask to see if you can get a copy of his old Vet records to pass on to your vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts