Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

after 3 years of waiting my fiancee finally came home with chi last night and he most adorable thing ever

but i seem abit lost...i never had a puppy before so bit stuck on training havent even thought of a name yet lol

my fiancee as brought me cage n dog bedding n bowls n rest of it...... but dont kno how to start feeding...traning....walking ny advive wud be much appreciated

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
HI and welcome to the board! :)

There is a lot of information here. Try searching around the board in Chihuahua questions and I am sure you find many answers to these questions. I am sure others will chime in soon :) You may want to try and post these questions in Chihuahua questions . Chihuahua Questions - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
congrats on your new baby!
Welcome to Chi ppl
The forum is full of threads
I hope they help you out!!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Lots of good advice here, how old is your puppy and photo's we need to see photo's.

When I got Jake as a puppy he was fed on a good quality kibble specially made for puppies and I fed him too much :D
I discovered this by reading how when dogs hide their treats rather than eat them it is because they are not hungry.
Jake would have about 20 treats hidden around the house

So when I took him to the vets for his check up I had him weighed and the vet advised me on how much to feed. It was much less than what I was giving him.

I learnt not to go by the recommendations on the feed packets as they have always been way over what he actually needed. I also fed Jake three times a day and reduced it to twice a day as he got older.

As for potty training I started by having about 8 pads on the floor of the lounge much to the amusement of others on here. All that did was teach Jake he could pee and poop anywhere :D

I then got a crate and put a bed in with one pad.

After a meal I'd put him in the garden, he would run and play then come back into the house and pee and poop on the carpet.. :(

That was frustrating but what really worked was I bought an etra large cat tray and put some turf in from B&Q and put that in his crate instead of the pad.

Jake very quickly learnt that grass was for toilet and within no time he was house trained.

I did still put him in the garden very regularly, after a sleep, play or meal and times in between

Patience and consistancy is the key though I have yet to fully house train Red who is a challange

Welcome to the forum

Deme x

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
welcome to the forum... you have come to the right place for knowledge... can't wait to see pics of your new 'friend for life'

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi all

all very nice and helpful

i have put some pictures on the picture bit if i done it right lol

as for his age i have just fount out he is only 6 weeks old so worrying alot not, as i know from experience kittens they not allowed to leave till 12 weeks

thanks again x

·
Registered
280 Posts
welcome to the forum :D I was like that when I first got Cici, but chihuahua forums helped me out a lot, chek out all the threads and youll pick it up in no time :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts