Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Michigan!

We just brought home our newest addition to the family on Saturday. A multi-color 10-week-old Chi girl. Everything is going great . . . except . . . potty training! We have puppy pads, and she goes everywhere BUT the pads! lol

My husband seems to think there is something out there -- maybe in a drop form -- that we can put on the pads to attract her?

She eats great, has tons of energy, is a snuggle bunny when it's time to take a nap, and we love her. I think she's going to be a moose though. When I figured the difference between my weight alone, and my weight plus hers, there was about a 3 - 3.5 pound difference. Approximately what size adult dog are we looking at? I would think way over the 6-pound limit. But you Chi experts are sure to be able to give me some kind of clue!

Thanks so much! I have a photo of her but haven't uploaded it from the camera yet. Once I figure out how to upload it to the site, I will!

Have a super day!

God's Blessings!

Mel

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Hello and Welcome :hello2:

Try putting the pads in a few places she has already gone. You'll need to put them in more than 1 place because chis don't like to pee and poop in the same spot.
Then if you see her going and she's not on the paper pick her up immediatly and put her on the paper and tell her "good girl go potty on the paper". It make take a few times for her to get the idea, but they really do want to please us. Just be consistant and persistant.

Glad you found us!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MsP

Thanks so much for replying so quickly!

Actually, there was one spot she kept going so I put a pad there, and guess what??? She hasn't gone there since, lol!!! I think she's toying with me!

Oh, and by the way her name is . . . ready for this? . . . Kitty.

Thanks so much!

Mel

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Kitty is a cute name for a chi. I think there is a link to a weight chart somewhere on this site. With Marcus it's just taken persistance to get him to use the pee pads. "No, bad boy" when he starts to squat on the floor. "Gooood boy, what a gooooood boy" when he uses the pee pad. I rubbed a tiny portion of one pee pad in a puddle and that seemed to help him connect too. He uses his pee pad 99% of the time now.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
http://www.ahkennel.net/weightchart.htm
here is a weight chart.......

consistency is the key to puppy training. Every dog will be different. I have a new puppy and she got it down pat in about 2 weeks. My older boy took a few months of no accidents so........it depends.

OH YES WELCOME!!!!!!!!!! :wave:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome! :wave: This is a great site and the people are very nice and helpful! My Chi is litter box trained, she dislikes the pads for some reason? Oh yeah, post pics when you can!!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hello :wave: Mel and Kitty cute name. My first Chi was easy to train but my little one is having a harder time with it. There is a spray that you can put on the potty pads that will help. Make sure if is does have an accident to clean it well and to neutralize the area with Vinegar, because if she still can smell it she will go right back. Hope this might help a little.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I get potty pads at Walmart that contain an attractant in them. It really helped Grizzly locate the "where" of the pad. Since we started using them, he has not had one accident in the house. I can't remember the name, but they are in a white package, with blue and a pinkish color too. Says something about also having baking soda in them. The label will definitely say it has an attractant.

The vinegar suggestion that Kiwi Love wrote about is a great one, it really does work!

I hope this helps, a little?

Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy your time here with us! Vicki

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice. I clean up the mess, then use Fabrize on it. She doesn't go back to the same spot again, but finds a new and exciting one!!!

Yesterday, I caught her and she was right there by me, so I put her immediately on the pad, and she thought I wanted to play! Well, so much for that one, huh? (Don't worry though, I won't give up!!! :) )

About the weight charts, the ones I've seen don't show a 10-week old Chi weighing 48 or more ounces. Maybe I'm not looking at the right place! I'll take a look at the chart linked above. (Thank you very much for the link!)

Did anyone else have a puppy who weighed as much as Kitty at 10 weeks?

Thanks everyone for being so helpful!

God's Blessings!

Mel

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Hi there Mel, welcome to this site...I joined in November and I am addicted now! Kitty is a sweet name for your little girl...cant wait to see pics!
My little girl Poppy is 18 weeks old and is still rather, er...creative with her decisions on where to do her business! it takes time I guess... :wave:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new baby! Just try to be consistent with your potty traing. My three are pee-pad trained and they also go outside. My two little guys were a breeze to train,. However, my little girl took a little longer. They are not fully trained untill about 6months. Sometimes even a little longer. There are some wonderful books out there you can read "The Chihuahua Handbook" is excellent.

There is really no way to tell how big she will be. She may get her growth fast and just stop. However, they ususally continue to grow for one year.
My two males are 6lbs and are two years old. My little girl is barely 3lbs and is 16months old! She is soooo tiny. She only weighed 8oz at 11weeks. She just now weighs 3.2oz. I will try to post a baby picture of her, she looks like a little mouse. :lol:

Sandra

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My trainer said to put pepper on the carpet if you hear them snneze its a sign of get him on the paper. I put pepper it didnt work for lady petunia i had to spread aluminum foil in my living room she wouldnt dare step on it. but i always let them out every 10-20 minutes after eatting or drinking. If i caught LAdy squatting i yelled NO! grabbed her either put her on the paper or put her out and as she continued her relief i say good girl. good girl! your a good girl! Mine are pretty much outsiders to do their bz in the yard. but now with this weather they still want to go out to do their bz. i try to get them to go on the paper iI always have a spot with paper on the floor just in case if they do they do i say good boy or girl. if they insist on going out in the cold i dress them up warm. where ever they feel comfortable as long as it isnt on my rugs lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts