Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have just inherited a 6 month old female Chi. First day with us and she seems a lovely thing but very growly which I am putting down to missing her owner. She hasn't eaten much at all, maybe a few tiny biscuits. She looks so sad me and my daughter desperately want to show her some love, but she growls if we put our hands anywhere near her. She has ventured over and sat on my daughters lap but again, when she tried to fuss her she growled and snapped at her. I also think she might be teething. I haven't owned a dog for quite a while and never this breed but she does appear to be.

Fingers crossed she settles in! :eek:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Pretty much ignore this baby until she really settles in. She is telling you the only way she knows to 'please leave me alone'!! She will very soon be climbing into your laps. Food is always a good place to start. Sit on the floor and have some really good stuff in your hand. Let her come to you to eat out of your hand. Do NOT touch her! After a week or so, maybe scratch her under the chin; then the throat and then the chest. She may growl, if so back off. It may be awhile before she trusts you. Then again she could be a dog that just doesn't like to be touched! I've had one or two in my lifetime. Sue

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I agree--let her set her own pace. Just sit near her, watch TV, whatever, talk to her, but just carry on. Don't force the issue. If you have a friend with a friendly small dog, it helps if she sees that dog happily getting love from humans. This is how I tamed my little abused rescue, Marley. He watched all the others Chis get love, then he jumped into my lap and started licking my face. This was after a week he spent cowering in the bathroom, hating me and the world.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awww thank you. She has started to follow my 7 yer old daughter about and jumped up on her this morning. I think she has an issue with me as I drove her away from her home and owner. I've fed her a bit by hand which she seems happy to do, but then growls and retreats to her bed. Thank you again for the advice!! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Aww bless her. As the others have said I expect she just needs time. Our baby wasnt 100% sure of my hubby and we've had a a few months. Mainly I think because he's away alot she hasn't bonded as much as with me and the kids. However last weekend she came in from the back room used me as her usual access to the sofa and went and layed on him for the rest of the night . It just takes time :) good luck xx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I know they are only small but She hasn't eaten much at all. Just a few biscuits my daughter gave her by hand. I've put wet food out (puppy) and some water n biscuits and she looks n walks away. I'm used to labs and spaniels so
It's strange being around a dog that seems so wary of people. Bless she growls at everyone and everything!! Is this their nature or just a settling in phase. We are quite a busy family with lots of people coming around ESP children.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If this pup is so nervous that she is growling and snarling, then I would not take a chance with her and kids. Tell them she is 'off limits' and to ignore her. If she is really upset, then give her a place she can be alone. A crate in a bedroom? I'd be really careful that she not nip a kid! Good luck. Sue

·
Registered
786 Posts
Chihuahua's tend to get more attached to their owners than other breeds - so she is surely missing her original mama! Just let her be - give her a nice soft, fleece blanket to cuddle into and "burrow" in to let her feel a bit more at home. Let this be "her" blanket from there on out - those "no-sew" blankets work well. Eventually, she will grow accustomed to you and will love you unconditionally, it just takes time. As for the teething - my Chi is still in that stage. I found that the favorite toys were a mini "Busy Bone" - a bone with bristles, knubby rubber pieces and rawhide circles - and a "Princess" Nylabone. Might want to try those to get her started.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She seems find with my daughter who is happy to sit and play with her. Had a mad tussle on the sofa but immediately followed with a growl and off puppy went to sit in her bed. Its almost like she doesn't want to let herself go? If that makes sense. Shes currently asleep on my daughters lap and providing my daughter doesn't touch her (results in a growl) she seems content. Hopefully as she gets more accustomed her appetite will improve. She spent a while chewing on a cold carrot!!!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Chihuahua's tend to get more attached to their owners than other breeds - so she is surely missing her original mama! Just let her be - give her a nice soft, fleece blanket to cuddle into and "burrow" in to let her feel a bit more at home. Let this be "her" blanket from there on out - those "no-sew" blankets work well. Eventually, she will grow accustomed to you and will love you unconditionally, it just takes time. As for the teething - my Chi is still in that stage. I found that the favorite toys were a mini "Busy Bone" - a bone with bristles, knubby rubber pieces and rawhide circles - and a "Princess" Nylabone. Might want to try those to get her started.
Also try the old standard of sleeping with or cuddling with something you've worn--maybe a soft fleece or t-shirt you don't mind letting her borrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to say a quick thanks, given her an old blanket which she has pulled at a bit and buried herself in it. Slept for a while and then came over for a fuss! Slowly slowly catchy monkey (or puppy) I think is working!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Gracie was 5 months when we rescued her. She wasn't a growler, but she was very stand-offish for the first few days, and ate very little. We just backed off and let her do things on her terms, and now we wish she would be a little stand-offish at times! :D

She's the clingiest of our 3!

Now that she's older (almost 2) she growls at the other dogs if they do something she thinks they aren't supposed to do. My tiny one (7 months) growls at the other two if they get near him while he's playing with a toy or chewing on something. Neither of the Chis growl at us, but will at strangers who try to approach them when they are on the ground - both are fine if I pick them up before the stranger touches them.

Pedro is our real growler, he's half Chi half Cairn terrier. He was an abused rescue we got at age 3. It took him months to warm up to my husband, but he's been my 'heart' dog since the day our eyes met in the shelter we rescued him from. He is very cautious of strangers, does not like children at all, and bites my son every time he walks in the door - just a nip to let him know who is in charge, he never bites hard enough to bring blood. He growls at my husband when he turns over in bed at night, but with Pedro, it's just part of his personality. He's grumpy, and he's choosy about who he associates with, and I'm sure the two younger ones drive him to the point of insanity at times, so he's probably earned the right to be grumpy by the end of the day.

Do you know that she wasn't abused?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.