Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I rescued a Chihuahua/toyfox terrier in December. When I took him to his first vet appointment he was diagnosed with Heartworm. We made it through the treatment with flying colors. However since he has been off the prednisone its been a little rough. Let me state that I have given him every test x-ray that is available and the only think that they have come up with is that he has some gastro problems. He is the pickiest eater in the WORLD. When he was on the prednisone he would eat anything. Now its so difficult. It got so bad that he got constipated and dehydrated and had to be on iv fluids. He is on a gastro presctription diet and he barely eats (he does drink) He eats 1/2 of what he ate while on prednisone (although then he was eating like a horse then and gained a little too much) He also I think is having some separation anxiety. Hes such a mush... He just seems so sad. I have to work. I do have a dog walker. He has to be home for 4 hours at a time. (gone 9 hours a day) hes not confined he can go anywhere he wants. He doesn't have accidents. When he was undergoing treatment he was with my mom 24/7. I have had dogs for 14 years and never had an experience like this... He covers his food he doesn't want to eat it. I was told in his former life they thought he may have been hand fed people food. I don't know what to do. I just want him to thrive

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would first figure out what he likes to eat. Petsmart and Petco will let you bring back dog food if you dog doesn't like it. I had a similar problem with my little one . It almost seems like she doesn't want to get too fat. We live in Texas and our chihuahuas had bad allergies so one thing we started doing was hunting for deer (1 deer per year) which we would grind up and cook.
And I would bet one reason he gained weight prednisone is a steroid . What are known to cause weight gain.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Welcome to cp. prednisone will cause him to gain weight. Congratulations on making it through the treatments!

What are you feeding him now? I feed mine Honest Kitchen Embark (dehydrated) for one meal, and Wellness Core at night. I split their food into 2 feedings. My DIL mixes just a small amount of Honest Kitchen and puts it on top of the Core. There are so many foods out there, it can be mind boggling!

Check out dogfoodadvisor.com.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I am a firm believer in a natural, species appropriate diet, which for dogs means raw meat. Mine absolutely love their raw food, I never saw this amount of excitement at mealtimes when feeding 'dog food'. Try him on a bit of raw meat, whatever you are cooking for yourself, to see if he likes it. There is a whole section on raw feeding in the Food and Nutrition forum if you decide to go down the raw route.
dogfoodadvisor.com is also a good place to research pre made foods.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Yes prednisone makes you have a wonderful appetite! I was on it for 38 years for asthma. Thankfully, they have now developed steroid inhalers, which don't have the same effects as the oral steroid.

I would second the above. Now he is off the prednisone, maybe his appetite is less? How is he doing appetite wise, as to before he took the meds? It may take him awhile to get his appetite to where it was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts