Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I have just become mum to a beautiful chi little girl, she is guessed at 8-10 years old and I have taken her on as her owner has had to go into sheltered accomadation.I already have a gentle 12 year old german shepherd and a mad 18 month pekenese. My new lady Pixie has settled
unbelievably well in 4 days but I have noticed when she play and gets excited she makes a huffing snorting noise, it stops when she calms down. Thank you

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Welcome! it's nothing to worry about it's called reverse sneezing it's a trait chihuahuas have mine do it as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Michele.
Can I just ask, when she does this do I stop play and let her calm down or will she regulate herself she seems to want to carry on even making this noise. she does't make this noise out for a walk but should I get her a harness, she came with a collar on.
Sorry if I sound thick, have never owned anything so dainty before and dont want to do anything wrong.

·
Administrator
7,248 Posts
as michele says yes its reverse sneezing its caused by a s a sudden, rapid and extreme forcefull inhalation of air through the nose causing the dog to make repeated snorting sounds my zac is the one of my 3 who does it the most when this happens i gently hold him and pinch his nose till he makes a gasping kind of hiss from his mouth this usually stops the reverse sneeze welcome to CP x

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hi and welcome :D
My 2 chis always do that, its ok
They do it when they get excited, or when they drink water too fast but it stops soon
I think it helps to rub the back of their neck or to hold their nostrils for a second to make them swallow
If it goes on for a very long time though you might want to get it checked out

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and welcome to CP, def get a harness. Walking with a collar could cause the trachea to collapse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts