Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
We are on our way to pick up our new (old) nine year old Chi from the Humane Society. We have interacted with her for a week and weighed the pro/cons of adopting her. Again, she is nine, missing lots of teeth so needs soft food, and the previous owners could not house break her. We are going to give it a try. I have been reading some of the threads about older dogs. So here we go.... We are going to go with the pad method and a kennel since we live in a apartment building on top floor. Any advice would be kindly appreciated. She seems to be a great dog just needs the right home. I hope its us......

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Old dogs are so wonderful. Thanks for letting her live out her golden years with you. By saying she wasn't housebroken, do they mean she was an outside dog? Or did they just clean up after her? Depending on the answer, they are two different set of problems and solutions. I would love to see a picture of her. I have a couple of older dogs myself.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Thank you so much for opening your heart to an older dog. I adopted one, 11 to 13, who was on death row as they say. She is a loving, sweet girl. Please send photos and give us updates.

Do be careful on the teeth. Hopefully your new one will be okay. C;lover's were so bad we pulled all of them. she is much better now.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Welcome! I believe you are going to truly love this wonderful girl you have opened your home to. I can't wait to see pics and hear how things go. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Ahh glad you are giving her a home. Older dogs have more trouble finding homes and get overlooked often. When wed got my Zoe she was 3 so not old but we were told she was not housebroken either well she had maybe 2 accidents in the home and was fully house trained in a week. I just think the people before were not consistently letting her out enough.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Tomorrow we will have our new, older guy (5 years old) a month. Been the best thing to happen to us in a lonnnng time. We love him to bits. His first home he was terribly abused. So we are working through a few "issues" that his second home (which was totally wonderful)didn't get him through.

Now he did come to us 110% reliable housebroken, but we've had several dogs through the years various ages not trained upon arrival, trained shortly after just by consistency. We've also had a few "impossible to train" that trained as easily as any other dog. It's never the dog (provided it's healthy) ~ it's always the people training the dog.

When you get her home ~ start her out as if she was a puppy "Housebreaking 101" ~ it doesn't matter that she's advanced in years the training technique is still the same. Have her set up and just start working it when you bring her in the door. Now I don't pad train so I can't help with the specifics of doing that ~ but I do know if you use the methods to get her to the pad consistently, and you just stay on top of it you will get her trained. Keep in mind she's going to be out of her comfort zone as she is in a new home, but even as she is settling in get her on a routine (that helps settle them in so it's an added bonus). But when you can't have your eyes on her, put her in an area (I used an X-Pen with a shower curtain so if we had an accident it didin't penetrate the floor). Initially keep her to a small area, as she trains and when she becomes 100% reliable she will be able to have full run, but when training her you can't let her out of sight because that's when she'll potty and you won't know where to clean. In a day or so you'll see what she does before she goes potty (she'll get squirmy / turn circles ~ she'll do something unique that just lets you know she needs to do her business) so keep an eye on her and watch for her signals and get her to her spot. Soon enough she'll pick up what you expect of her and you will be on your way to having her reliable.

I cannot express how we love our older guy. He's bite size right size and totally snuggable. My Dad said about 15 times this weekend up at camp ~ we couldn't have "ordered" anything finer than him. And even having him only a month we are all totally crazy about him and can't imagine our home without him. You'll be feeling the same before too long, once she settles in some & its an awesome feeling!. Keep up posted, please :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just recently got a precious little angel in January. One of my sisters saw her on Craigslist in the town we live in. She will be 9 years old in November. Her former momma had passed away and her auntie didn't like dogs so my sister got her. I have only had large dogs so this little girl took a little getting used to. She was pottypad trained but when I moved in with my sister and was able to let her outside more she would rather go outside. She and I have gotten so attached to each other that when I am gone she will just lay around waiting for me to get home. She is the love of my life and I am thankful I could be the one to rescue her and give her as much love as she can take as you will be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts