Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Sandra and i have a chi named Chico he is nearly 6mths old and a handful. lol. I wonder if other chi owners have the problem of the wee one eating everything and anything that is lying about, if so what can I do about it.

· Registered
163 Posts
welcome to cp :) i'd love to see pics of your baby :) im new here to. i am going to be adopting my baby boy chi and he will get to come home at the end of next month as he is just about 4weeks now. fill free to take a look at my album at the pics i have of him... and to your question, not with my other dogs i had when they were babies i would just have tons of toys that they could play and chew on, if he starts to chew on something he isnt suppose to just take him away from were he is and side track him with a nice toy :)

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Hiya Granny & welcome.

I wonder if other chi owners have the problem of the wee one eating everything and anything that is lying about, if so what can I do about it.
Should I really state the obvious, I'd hate for you to take it the wrong way other than the kind way it is meant ....

With pups there should NOT ever be anything simply "lying about" for them to eat or chew, peritonitis etc springs to mind, not to mention vet bills for many $1ks!

Can you not rid the pup's environment of everything that is "lying about"?

· Registered
3,206 Posts
Welcome to CP! Congrats on your little man. We would all love to see pics.

My Gemma is over 4 months and she just wants to eat everything and anything that is lying on the floor or the ground. I'm chasing her around 24/7 pulling lint and hair out of her mouth. I vacuum but it's not enough, especially since my boyfriend sheds more than a dog with his long hair! When I take Gemma on walks, she wants to stop and try to eat every rock, leaf, twig, flower, ant, whatever.

It's a hassle keeping up with her but I'm just hoping she'll grow out of it. She even likes to eat her own poop! Of course she doesn't care much for her real food, lol. I don't get it. Crazy puppies. :p

· Registered
3,206 Posts
Yeah, as Dee stated, keep your floors as clean as possible. Definitely don't leave anything dangerous lying around for him to chew on. My impression was that you meant he was just trying to lick up normal things on the floor, lick hair or lint, but if you have actual objects for him to get into and chew, that's a problem. There's nothing for Gemma to chew on or eat from our floors except the occasional lint/hairball that she always manages to find under the couch or something.

· Banned
5,631 Posts
Welcome! Can't wait to see him. We love pics!

He will likely outgrow eating everything (although some don't!). Obviously keeping everything off the floor helps, but I understand the frustration of dropping something and as you're going to pick it up, your chihuahua is running off with it. One time Odie even jumped from the couch to the coffee table to get a kleenex. No where is safe! Haha.

Having a puppy that eats anything really is a big life adjustment, as you have to be so careful. The "drop it" command is helpful, but the best thing is just making sure there's nothing around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.