Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can hardly believe Snow and Holly will be 6 months old soon.. Man does time ever fly by these days!

Snow and Sophie (Snow on the doggie sofa) lol

Holly and Spikey

Holly, Snow, Kona (Who has blown up like a ballon since he was neutered on March 9th. The pic of him in my siggy was taken after Snow and Holly were born on Nov 30th and the difference in size is unbelievable!) and Sophie

Sophie, Spikey, Holly

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Ah Yay lovely pics.

I forget Daisy has the same birthday as Holly and Snow.. they're like sisters from another mister (like brothers from another mother... ha ha)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Such cute pics! I like the ones of them playing! Thanks for sharing them. :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Wow time does fly Deb!
It seems like yesterday Snow and Holly were teeny dots!
They are growing up beautifully.
All your furry kids are gorgeous!!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Awwww, Deb, they are all just so sweet and cute! Time really does fly, doesn't it! Seems like they are just young babies one day, and no time passes and you are celebrating their first Birthday's. Crazy how that works. I used to think it took ages and ages for my BD to come, now I'm 42 and it seems like it comes every 3 months. :lol: Chance did the same thing your Kona did. He gained 1 whole lb. in just over a month after being neutered. Now he's as thick as he is tall. :lol:

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awwww, Deb, they are all just so sweet and cute! Time really does fly, doesn't it! Seems like they are just young babies one day, and no time passes and you are celebrating their first Birthday's. Crazy how that works. I used to think it took ages and ages for my BD to come, now I'm 42 and it seems like it comes every 3 months. :lol: Chance did the same thing your Kona did. He gained 1 whole lb. in just over a month after being neutered. Now he's as thick as he is tall. :lol:
T.
I am so concerned about Kona's weight.. He was always very fit and trim and he was proportioned quite nicely. I can tell from his movement and activity level that he is not comfortable with this added weight.
In the past, my males have all been neutered around 8 months of age.. (Neko, Buster, Charlie Chan, Rocky) and they did not put on the pounds following surgery. With Kona, he was 3 years old in Feb. and neutered in March.. I can't help but wonder if part of the problem may have been the age at which he had the procedure. At 8 mos old my other males may have not been producing the volume of male hormones and "whatever" that a 3 year old dog would produce. Does that make sense??
Anyway, I have made a vet appt. for Kona.. I want my vet to see what has happened.. and help me make a plan to get some of this excess weight off of him. Dieting for a doggie when there are so many others here will be a very difficult task.. but I am afraid his health is at risk now.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Deb, I totally agree with your theory. In fact, I was telling one of the members here this as well. She asked if her pups would gain weight after a spay, and I said just do it while they are young. I think it makes a big difference. Doing it before they are through growing may still add some extra weight, but not near as much as if they are older. It's like somehow it just all evens itself out as they grow. It changes their growth somewhat too when you do it before they are grown. It has something to do with their growth plates not being closed. So the way it was explained to me is that they grow taller and longer, so the extra weight doesn't show as much. When they are full grown, the plates are already closed, it just goes "out." Chance was 19 months old when I had his done. And he blossomed! He was underweight before the surgery, so that's all that helped. Now he is about 1/2 lb. overweight for his frame. Like you it worries me, but he hasn't gained anything since a few months after the surgery, so I assume it has stopped. My Vet said he looks perfect. As long as he doesn't gain anything else, we should be fine. But like you said, I worry about his legs. It's hard to tell in pics since he is such a bitty fella', but he is a well rounded lil guy. :lol:

I have noticed that when I keep Chance active he keeps his shape. I also reduced his food a bit, but he isn't an over eater anyway. You can only cut their food so much. When the weight isn't to do with excess food, it gets a bit complicated. I wish you guys the best. Hopefully your Vet will have some good pointers for you. Let me know how it's all going. Sending kisses & hugs you guys way. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts