Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The breeder surprised me today with unexpected pics. I know she hasn't changed much but I still wanted to show them. I love watching her grow up. She's now charting to be under 3 pounds. I seriously am really hoping she gets bigger though. When they are too little I am afraid of so many things. Her mom is a little over 6 pounds and her dad is a little over 3.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
she is just adorable...its really nice to see her pics as she ages ( if being a whole 8 days old is " aging " :D )

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww................What a cutie! Congratulations!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is going to be a stunner, for sure. Very sweet.
I'm just afraid of smooshing her with my fat foot. I'll probably end up carrying her everywhere. She weighed 3.4 ounces at 5 days old. Today at 8 days she weighs 3.3 ounces, so she is losing weight. I'm hoping it's that young puppy thing where they lose some at first and then start filling out nicely.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I'm just afraid of smooshing her with my fat foot. I'll probably end up carrying her everywhere. She weighed 3.4 ounces at 5 days old. Today at 8 days she weighs 3.3 ounces, so she is losing weight. I'm hoping it's that young puppy thing where they lose some at first and then start filling out nicely.
Don't worry ...the breeder will be on top of any weight loss quickly...Zari started to lose weight and her breeder immediately started oral feedings along with the moms nursing and Zari did well after that...:)

·
Registered
370 Posts
:hello1:i think her pic looks alittle different-in the 1st one her skin was alittle flabby but now she looks filled out alittle.my breeder in PA sends pix every wk.its so fun 2 c her progressing :blob5::blob4::blob::blob7::blob8: i thibk these little blobs r so cute.:D

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I bet she will be larger than you think. At 8 weeks, Penny was charting at 2.5 lbs and now she is looking like she will be 6.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
She's a doll! Don't worry about her growing bigger than 2.5 lbs., she will. Chances are she'll be 4.5/6 lbs., if not more. Those early baby weights mean absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
aww! such a cute tiny little chi!
I shouldnt worry too much because the weight chart isnt 100 percent correct all the time
Gucci charted o be around 2.5lbs whenhe was younger and now he is charting 3.0lbs
it may change again.... who knows! lol

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Those charts are nothing more than complete confusion. I do not know one reputable breeder that uses them. It was designed many many years ago, and is almost always wrong. The best way to "chart" is buying a pup from someone that knows their lines from way back, not just a few years. And even then they will get the "odd one out, or two." This is why "show" breeders don't end up with all show pups from each litter. There will be pups from each litter that are oversized, and/or to many "faults" for the ring. If the pup/pups only have "size" keeping them from the ring, they'll finish them before full growth. They don't often weigh pups in the ring, but you'd be surprised how many are over 6 lbs. You won't "hear" this info. provided often, it's all part of the "politics" behind the whole thing. So please, don't bother with those charts. They won't tell you heads or tales. :) Figuring on 4.5 to 6 lbs for a chi within standard is about as close as you'll get with "charting." And only time will tell. The honesty to the size weight thing with chis is that there are FAR more in the 6 to 8 lb range than within standard. Not what many want to hear, but it's the truth.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone, i'm sure you all are right and she will be a fine size! My mom has an 8 pound chi and he looks so little to me, so even that is not "big".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts