Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, someone gave me a new lil boy and i am wondering how old he is, they said 6 weeks but i know he is younger, when do new puppies get their teeth , he dosent have his lil fangs yet. i know its bad to take a pup so young.they didnt want to keep the pups any longer.but i am taking great care of him , i also have two females 2 and 1 year old. anouther thing his ears look kinda small to me, but im thinking its because hes so young he looks like a 4 or 5 week olds ears.thanx

·
Registered
164 Posts
You think his ears look small??? They look normally big to me! The pic is too small really for me to tell much. My pup was smaller than that and I got her at 8 weeks. I don't know if he is younger than 6 weeks...he looks at least that old to me, but once again...pic too small. Sorry, wish I could help more!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Have you got a picture you can post?

If he is 6 weeks, or younger, it really is wayyyyyyyy too young to be away from his mum. He might not even be fully weaned yet.
I'd take him to the vet for a check over, they'll probably be able to advise you more on his age and also on his health and what you need to be doing to supplement the fact that he should really still be with his mum, ie her milk etc.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I would definately take him to the vet if he is that young you're going to have to get a lot of info!! Honestly I don't think you should have boughthim but you did so you really need to get him checked out. Chihuahuas shouldn't go to their new homes until they're 12 weeks old!! These so called breeders should be fined

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hope this pic shows ,not really sure how to post pix... an he is eating an drinkin very well an playfull, still sleeps lot...i didnt want to take him so soon , i knew it was to young ,i think im takin better care of him than they were, they had kids pickin them up and the worse part they were takin the poor pups to football practice and all the kids were handeling them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heres another .. does he look like a mix.
URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/upinklady/?action=view&current=puppyboy031.jpg]
[/URL]

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Wow, if he's a 4-5 week old Chi pup he's gonna be a BIG BOY! I definitely think you should bring him to the vet asap & get their thoughts. They'll have a better idea on definite age & what care this pup should be getting. The good thing is he is bigger so hopefully you won't have to worry about hypoglycemia. But you definitely do need to figure out what this pup should be eating & also figure out what YOU need to be doing to give him the socialization & "lessons" that mom & sibblings would & should be doing for the next several weeks. He does look like he could be pure Chi but it's impossible to tell. He does look quite big...but some Chi's are just big.

Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya he weighs 1pound 2 oz, he has been playing with my two chi girls , growlin an barking an chasin them around he is such a sweet boy.an he has been going on the potty pads.thanx for the reply

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

with his sisters....

trying to get in my sons cleet..

·
Registered
323 Posts
oh i just saw your post with his weigh. with that being said he is a big boy for 6 weeks...how are his teeth? i ask this because their teeth start coming in about 4 weeks to 5 weeks and if he is 6 weeks they are still coming in. make sure he is eating 24 hours a day if he is not then he can crash(sugar low)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
his teeth were barley comin in when i got him ,his little fangs are startin to break threw. im home with him all day so im makin sure he eats puppy food softened with water, and he drinks alot of water.i have nutracal in case his sugar drops to. do his ears look small to you.?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Awww I prove would haw taken him too it's gotta be hard when they are treated badly

He's deffo gonna be a big boy with long legs!! He doesn't look like a mix I'd get him down the vets also you will want to worm him coz I doubt those people did it for u

Good luck

·
Registered
323 Posts
yes they look small but it could be the picture and that they arent standing up either. He will grow in to those ear or the ear will grow into him. yes i would have to say he is close to 6 weeks now not when you got him. if it was awhile ago. if you jsut go him i would say that he is just 5 to6 weeks but no older than that by what you are saying about his teeth. i use to breed them and i always watched them close. i am glad you are home with him and make sure the water is warm..what puppy food are you feeding?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanx i am feedin him science diet, ive had him since wensday nite, last nite he even slept all nite , my older female chi sleeps with him , she is the more motherley type, my other is still a lil young , yes i do need to get him dewormed im sure they didnt do it , they sold all the puppies for $ 25 for team and 50 not on team there was a total of 4 pups...he seems a little fluffier than his litter mates so im thinkin hes gona have a medium coat? i hope the other pups are gettin well taken care of..the kids at the park were kinda ruff with them it was driving me crazy...poor babies, i told the other parents not to bring them back to park til they have all there shots but they dont listen.

·
Registered
323 Posts
you are right dont let him out side until all puppy shots are done. yes get him de-wormed...I would go get him some royal canine puppy food...their is one that say under 8 weeks old it has mother milk in them and with warm water and have him licking that will help him some. do you have dry food down for him? they teeth on that to help get his teeth in. he watchs mother eat and so he trys...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes i put a few hard pieces in with the softened one. do they have that food at petsmart. i think hes feelin good he is full of hell rite now lol..thanx for the advice .my husband dosent think he is full chi because they sold them for so cheap , but i think he is . i think they just wanted to get rid of them , she said that the last litter had two grey ones how pretty.

·
Registered
323 Posts
grey are blues. FYI

yes they have that at pet smart. but what i mean by putting some dry with wet is have dry in a bowl with out water and have the warm water and food in another so he has 3 bowls water dry and wet...i am glad i can help..just the kind i am telling you has a little more in it than puppy...let me look for it and paste the link for you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts