Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i think i could do with some help. My hubby want's me to go and look at a pup next week as you all know Zoe just died on 16 March he said just to go and see it what do you guys think.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Absolutely!!! I say go for it. No dog will every replace your Zoey but the heart always has room and plenty of love to share.
Going to look at a little chi baby just might shine a little light in :) What harm could just going to look do??

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
If it were me, I would go and look.

My opinion is that although your Zoe will never be replaced, you can find enough love in your heart for another love; you just have to be ready. I think that looking at another dog may help you gauge whether or not you're ready or not. If you find that you are just unable to fathom the idea of another pup, take more time to heal. Do not rush into anything; you need to be mentally and emotionally ready for another dog. If you realize that you start to embrace the idea of another dog running around the house, go for it.

One day, you will be ready. Don't let anybody, even the hubby, try to rush you.

Also, my condolences on your loss. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Fay, I am the wrong person to ask.

Before the girls, we had our boy, ****, who had been my sweet Mother-in-Law's dog. We talked about what we would do when someday we were no longer responsible for a dog. We would travel, we could meet friends after work for dinner and so on.

Once he became ill, we knew we just had months. We became completely undone at his final days. We cried, could not eat nor sleep. Within days we just went to "visit a breeder" and "cuddle some puppies".

We put a deposit down that night and picked Hope up the next day.

She helped us heal. I told her that she could take ****'s SPACE but that she would never take his PLACE. I still miss him and I chuckle how much he would NOT have appreciated these crazy girls!

I know that is not right for everyone. It may not even be right for us again. It was right for us then.

You, your husband and your hearts will know if it is right for you at this time. Whether it is or it is not is perfectly okay!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Karen, your post made me teary eyed. It's so sweet and true.

Fay, as you know I got Chanel shortly after my Pom died,
I do not regret that decision. Chanel is a blessing, she kept
me busy and focused on her. She helped me heal with her
silly ways and sweet personality. Only you know if you are
ready or not. I say if you can provide for another dog in
every way, mentally, physically, emotionally and financially,
then go ahead and see the pups. I wish you the best of luck.
Big hugs!

·
Registered
919 Posts
If you don't feel that you are ready then don't go (then again maybe you should because you never know, you just might surprise yourself :)). And if you have even just the slightest room in your heart to love another then I say go! And if you have a whole bunch of love to give then I say go, go, go!

(Boy, I was a big help, huh? lol)

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Fay, I guess I will just add to what these wonderful friends have shared. It has been almost 1 year ago that our Lacy died unexpectantly. She was almost 5 years old. She was actually my parents Maltese and at first they said they did not want another one. A couple of days later when my husband and I went on our weekly night to stay at his mother's since his dad died and it was just my parents home alone without us or Lacy, they changed their minds. They felt for them they wanted another little one to give love to. Our home just was not the same without our Lacy. Our Gidget does not replace Lacy--don't expect another dog to be the same--but for us she has helped that hurt and that even having Lulu didn't help. Please don't let our stories talk you into something you are not ready for--we are just sharing our experiences, but maybe if you look with the knowledge that another dog will not be the same--will have their own personality--but could help your hurt you will know if it is right.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
How is Max doing on his own? My parent's Jack Russel Monty passed recently and while they weren't quite ready for a new dog their other dog Ruby was not eating, pacing the house and was just not a happy girl being an only dog. Because of Ruby they went to "just see a puppy" and ended up bringing home Miss Dolly the Malti-poo. As well as helping them get over Monty's loss it really helped Ruby, she was back to eating properly within a few days and is now a doting big sister.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Everyone is different Fay. Only you will know if its the right time to get another. Be sure you are ready. A new puppy can be thrilling, but also very challenging and trying at times. After our two old dogs died, we didn't have a dog for over 3 years! I just couldn't even imagine having another dog. I got rid of everything we had and we actually enjoyed that time. It was only after my sister got a new puppy that I started thinking about getting another dog. Then it seemed right. The timing is different for each person. Take your time and don't rush into a new puppy unless you are ready. :)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I am so going to be the odd girl out here.....but it is possible to go and JUST visit a breeder and look at pups. Really it is. Try not to be impulsive is my advice. I can adore many, many puppies but do not have to own them. Truly I looked at pups for 18 months before I got this one here. Take your time and make no impulsive decisions. I kind of think that the other dog needs time as well to adjust to the loss befoer he has to adjust to a puppy. Go visit and enjoy the visit.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank's everyone hubby wants a jackxchi the same as Zoe. Max is missing Zoe so much i do think it would be good for him to have a pup to play with and snuggle up to.I said i would go and see it a week on Saturday. I will let you all know how i get on still got 9 day's to think about it thank's again everyone.x

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i think you should! only as from my experience with animals (I Know Hamsters Arent The Same :p) but when you get another it dosent replace but it helps you cope with the grief and focus on something else , it really does help the pain! :) x good luck! x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts