Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave: Hiya everybody..iam newbie and but i have really enjoyed all this beautiul chi's pictures on here :p ...well my soon to be dog was born on the 7th of april and i cant wait to take him home....but iam also a bit worried...hope iam doing everything allright...i work fulltime ...how should i go about taking care of his needs when iam work.?...i also have 2 cats...i would be great if someone out there could give me a few tips on handling my new baby.thanks a bunch :wave:[[/quote]

·
Registered
936 Posts
First of all welcome and congratulations on your new furbaby :D . I can't wait to see some pics. But as far as taking care of and training goes, I highly recommend Chihuahua's For Dummies. I never before had a Chihuahua and when I found Seiah I immediately got that book.

It's scary at first because you don't want to mess up or be a bad parent to your Chihuahua. But don't worry everything gets easier day by day. Plus you have this forum to refer to...which also has helped and taught me so much. Good luck and feel free to ask for help. :wave: :wink:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that was quick!!?

Wow i cant believe how fast of an respond ive got : thank u very much .yes i will try to get that book you have recommened.i feel welcomed already.by the way you have a very cute baby!i doi have a picture of "fritzy" but i have to figure out how to attach it and all.wouldnt work the first few tries :cry: bye for now

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hehehe...I'm usually on because everywhere I go there's internet access. But with the picture thing try putting the file in 'documents and setting' in your computer. Then attach it in the posting section below where it says 'add an attachment'. You need to click that then click 'browse' and look for it. Hope that wasn't to confusing :lol: .

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
me again

Hi again :eek: i did doeverything u said with the picture thing....i do have in my pictures but it said the file was too big how to i resize it? :?: :wave:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Open the picture to paint and resize it then attach it to the post. To resize click on 'image' in toolbar, then click 'stretch/skew'. In the stretch box input a lower percentage, that should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there....i was able to find that book(chihuahuas foe dummies)at barnes and nobles.I have already read a few pages :p .thanks again for the tip :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
How old will ritzy be when you get him home first - if he is less than 12 weeks its a good idea to take a couple of weeks of work to settle him into hgis routiene and he will be fine you will need to get someone to come in and feed him at lunchtime as they have to be fed 3 times a day until they are about 6 months I think i changed to twice a day when ozzy was 5 months but I usd to leave a bowl of dryfood out for him too nibble on :wave:

·
Registered
518 Posts
You're getting such great advice already.
I would just add two things:

1. Don't leave the puppy alone with your cats while you are at work until they have all lived together happily for awhile.

2. If the puppy doesn't stay in a crate during your work day, then puppy proof the room where he will stay. (Check for electrical cords, things dropped on floor, etc..)

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place. Congrats on your new puppy. :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello again.......wow its nice to come back here and see some replies :p thank you all for your advice and tips...iam planing on taking some time off....i havent bought a crate yet...which one is more suitable...the cage or the smaller plastic one?...oh yeah i will watch my cats with our new addition ..both of my cats are declawed...but we all know its a territory thing :roll: ...ive heard of letting the radio play on low when iam not home...what do think ?guys thanks again for the nice welcome :p :p i love this site already.bye for now

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Welcome Stefania, I dont know if you are near a WalMart, but they have a good selection of small wire Kennels and crates. I personally love the small wire Kennel. It is big enough for a little bed and water and food bowl. I covered the bottom with a Pee-pad. I put chew toys in for them also. I would put a blanket over the top of it at night and they never cried. You need to have a good quality of puppy food on hand also. I used the "Eukanuba Puppy Small Bites" I would mix some can food in with it and make sure they eat three times a day. VERY IMPORTANT. Chi's can have "hypoglycimia" if not fed often, because of their tiny size. I would also have a tube of "Nutrical" on hand just in case you need it.

I have three Chihuahuas and they are the greatest! :wink:
sandra

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi "sjc"...thanks for the info....i do live near a walmart.i will check it out :p ...the puppy food you recommened...does walmart carry good quality dogfood?... ive heard about hypoglycimia...but what is it exactly?.also can u tell me more aout "nitrical?...i will also try the blanket over the cage at night as soones i get my baby.......thanks...see u soon :wave:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
No, WalMart does not carry Eukanuba puppy food. You have to go to PetsMart or Petco. Hypoglycemia is "Low Blood Sugar". It is caused from not eating enough calories to keep the Blood sugar level A good Breeder will keep the puppy untill it is atleast 10 weeks, before sending it home. Some Chi's are just way to tiny to bring home at 6 to 8 weeks. You can also buy the Nutrical at PetsMArt. It is very high in calories and should only be given to the Puppy if it has a drop in blood sugar.

sandra

1 - 13 of 13 Posts