Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have got a new Chi puppy. She is just 7 weeks. Got her at 6 weeks. I told the lady I got her from she was to small and I wish she would keep her until she was older due to her size but was told if I did not take her on the date she wanted her to go I would loose my deposit so I took her home. I have had her for a week now. I was told she was eating dry puppy chow moistened with water well the only way I could get her to eat was to basically force it in her mouth and she would spit it out. So I went and bought her some canned puppy food for now Eukanuba not sure if it is good or not so suggestions welcome on what to feed her. Wondering if I should also supplement her with the puppy replacement or not? I have a 4 yr old chi and she does not try to nurse on her at all. She seems alert and active plays well we go out to potty and she does well with that also but I have a hard time getting her to drink water since she has been here. She will not willingly drink it. I have to open her mouth and use a dropper to get her to drink it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hi! I got my puppy Taz when she was six weeks old also and like you, I tried to persuade the people I bought her from to keep her at least a couple more weeks.

If she's not eating dry food moistened with water there is nothing wrong with feeding her canned but there are some better canned foods out there. Nothing wrong with using it since you've got it but when you have time check out the links under the diet and nutrition section. There area couple of websites that rate dog foods and its best to feed the best quality food that you can reasonably afford. Do you have a Petco near you? They have begun to carry some higher quality foods. Nature's Variety Instinct canned is one they have which is a good food.

Is she eating the canned food okay? The main thing is small amounts frequently. When I first brought Taz home I fed her five times a day for the first couple of weeks, then went to four meals a day. Remember she is getting water in her food so there is no need to force feed her water but keep it available. Very young puppies usually don't drink much water until they are fully weaned.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Just wanted to add when I got Taz she didn't weigh much over a pound and she is doing fine at nearly six months now. Is that your pup in your avatar? She's a little beauty!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Also I just noticed you are in Georgia. If you are close to Kennesaw there's a great pet boutique near Town Center mall that has a great selection of foods, cute clothes and stuff.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in Ga. And yes is eating the canned well. I hope she continues to do well as yours. I worry about her. And that is her in my avatar yes :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
There is a store called Top Dogs near Town Center Mall. They also have a location in Roswell although I've never been there. They will give you lots of samples on your first visit, especially if you explain you have a new pup. There is also a store called The Good Dog Co. On Wade Green Road. They have a great selection of foods but not as many toys and stuff.

Does she have a name yet?

Has she been to the vet yet? At six weeks she may still need to be dewormed.

I know you are worried about her. I am worrying for you too. Once you get her through these next couple of weeks she will be steadier on her feet and won't look so fragile. She still needs plenty of sleep too with just short periods out to play.

I am here regularly and there are others here too who will be glad to help you if you have more questions.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes she has been to vet and she was dewormed last week. Her name is Holly J is what i call her lol.. She will be 7 weeks Tuesday. She basically wakes and eats then plays for about 5 min and then will go back to sleep. She is so sweet she will come to my feet and wine for me to put my hand down for me to pick her up. She likes to sleep on or near one of us for warmth. I do have a small little heater I keep her area nice and warm for her to. Those places you mention are a good drive for me I live east of Atlanta about 20 mins.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
That sounds like normal behaviour for a pup of her size so it sounds like she is doing well.

It is great that you are at home during the day to care for her. I used to carry Taz around in my sweatshirt pocket.

Those stores I mentioned are too far for me to go regularly too. I live about an hour and a half north of Atlanta.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I would get some nutri-cal,as she's not eating properly and so tiny her blood sugar level may fall and this would save her life .I know it saved Dotties .

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
LOL..that's sound like mine and they're all full grown...wake, out to do business, eat breakfast...take a nap. VBG so basically normal.

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble is a great resource. If she's eating canned food it has a high moisture content, it may be the reason she's not so thirsty.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I would try something a little higher quality to get her the nutrients she needs. ZiwiPeak makes a great canned food. Buy some Nutri-cal as well, it is important to have on hand with such a young puppy.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I would get some nutri-cal,as she's not eating properly and so tiny her blood sugar level may fall and this would save her life .I know it saved Dotties .
Dottie is still really tiny isn't she? Taz is up to about 3 lbs and will be six months old Jan13.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice all. I did get her some nutri-cal. I also bought a can of milk re-placer just to see how she would do she lapped that stuff like there was no tomorrow I added a couple teaspoons to her canned food she loved it so hopefully she will continue to do well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I got my boxer she was 4 weeks old (c-section, BYB)and supposedly on moist kibble. I ended up putting her back on formula for several weeks then moist kibble then I had to entice her to eat the dry kibble. Now, she's overweight and a major counter-surfer. I can't keep her weight down and she eats anything the kids drop on the floor like a Hoover.

The chi still eats the stuff the toddler drops but at least I won't have to worry about counter-surfing! I don't GIVE her human food but unless I crate her whenever he eats or snacks she'll be getting some.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I got my boxer she was 4 weeks old (c-section, BYB)and supposedly on moist kibble. I ended up putting her back on formula for several weeks then moist kibble then I had to entice her to eat the dry kibble. Now, she's overweight and a major counter-surfer. I can't keep her weight down and she eats anything the kids drop on the floor like a Hoover.

The chi still eats the stuff the toddler drops but at least I won't have to worry about counter-surfing! I don't GIVE her human food but unless I crate her whenever he eats or snacks she'll be getting some.
LOL Hoover I have a friend who has a boxer and she is the ame way counter and floors though hers is not overweight for some reason from all the food kids drop. Now my older Chi she came here very skinny and well I think we have fattened her up a tad to much lol..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts