Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just adopted a 10 week old chihuahua, & she is very sweet & adorable.

I got her a few nights ago, & right now I am regretting my decision. I feel like if anything, I should have gotten an older dog. I have to constantly be carrying her, or keeping her in her crate when I am doing stuff around the house, so none of my family members accidently step on her or something. She also hasn't been eating, & I have been having to feed her through a syringe, which is a task.

Also, my mom rehomed my 3 year old chihuahua Chanel (who I have had since she was 8 weeks), about a year ago, because we we're moving & we thought it would be too stressful or something, i'm not quite sure of her reason. But the move was calmer & went smoother than we thought, & we instantly regretted the decision of rehoming her. I still miss her & I cry all the time thinking about her. I thought getting a new puppy would fill the hole I have in my heart, but in fact it's making it worse. I don't know what to do, i'm so conflicted. I'm miserable taking care of this new puppy because of my personal problems dealing with the rehoming of my past chihuahua.

What should I do? I'm lost.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Puppies need a lot of love,care and attention,of course it will follow you it's just left it's siblings and is in a strange place.If you feel you can't give this puppy what it needs maybe ask the breeder to take it back,before it gets too attached to you

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I say take the puppy back to the breeder, she most likely has not been eating , because she feels your stress..She will get another home of someone who loves her, better now to find her a home then wait till she has problems from not being love.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is very sad that your previous dog had to be re-homed when you didn't agree with the decision. Sadly, if you plan to keep this little one you have to move past that. I doubt if you will go the rest of your life without another dog so now may be the time to forgive your mom for re-homing your dog. It sounds like this baby is a sweetheart, try to enjoy her. If you just can't you may need to return her. It won't be the same as what happened last time. You just might not be ready yet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry to hear that.But I agree the puppy should be taken back to the breeder because she's prolly not feeling the love and perhaps feel distant and you truly don't want her due to fact that you're still emotionally attached to your previous chi and is not fair to you or the new puppy hope all works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I think you need to hold off on getting rid of the puppy. Can you ask someone to help you for a while? I think you're still grieving over the loss of your other dogs. If you get rid of this pup, it may be another regret & it sounds like you don't need any more regrets. You probably should have waited before getting him so soon after your losses, but what's done is done now. Try to find someone to help you while you grieve & clear your head. You could still call the breeder & let her know what's going on just in case your sure that this pup's not for you.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
In my opinion, a new dog should never "replace" a previous one. The one before can never be replaced! You must approach this puppy with the attitude of giving it a loving, caring home. If you keep comparing her to Chanel, it won't work. I think you are probably not ready for another dog yet.

It hurts when a dog you love goes away. But each time I lost a dog, I never looked for another to fill the void. As you stated, it hurts too much! I believe you just aren't ready yet.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Some years ago, my parents got a Cairn terrier puppy. They'd had other dogs before, but he was definitely the doggie love of their lives. They grew very attached to him over the few years of his life. Unfortunately, they lost him to cancer (of the colon or intestine--I can't recall exactly). A few years later, they got another Cairn from a rescue service. I don't think they meant to "replace" their beloved Duncan as consciously or explicitly as you describe above, but it still didn't go very well. The foster family from whom they got the rescue dog had become very attached to him, almost didn't give him to them in the first place, and always acted interested in getting him back, so after a while of things not working out, my parents just let them have him back.

I hesitate to bring this up, and know it will probably be controversial, but is there any possibility of you maybe recovering Chanel? Maybe she's not working out so well in her new home? Is there a way for you to inquire about that? Definitely don't get your hopes up, but if you could put out feelers in that direction, perhaps you could be reunited with the chi you truly love and miss, and the breeder can place the puppy who isn't working out for you in another home where she'll get the love and care she needs and deserves.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think it can be a bit daunting getting a young puppy for some people at first, I kno I felt it just after getting all 3 of my pups, I had a couple of times of thinking "what have I got myself into!". But they grow up real quick, you will prob only have a few weeks that you will need to carry the puppy around and the same with syringe feeding. I had to do that with Boo for the first few days I had him as he wouldn't eat on his own, but that literally only lasted a few days before he settled in enough to eat by himself. Just remember puppyhood doesn't last forever!

Having said that, only keep her if you genuinely want another dog, and know it will all be worth it, but it's not fair on her if you don't truly want a new dog.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I have not ever shared this story here on Chi People because I'm not proud of it, but I really feel for you so I am going to talk about it.

I've been in your exact situation before. When I moved from my home in the US to Sweden, I immediately tried to "replace" the family Chi I grew up with at home with an 8 week old puppy. After 5 days, I was hysterical in tears every day, waking up in severe panic attacks, feeling unbearable anxiety, and regretting my decision because I wasn't ready for a brand new Chi puppy yet. I hadn't researched, I was completely unprepared, and I had not found this forum. I was also still missing my old Chi and all the stress of the new puppy was making it even harder on me thinking about how much I just wanted my old Chi back. My boyfriend was really worried for my emotional state, so we agreed upon reselling her to a very nice family in our town that actually wanted her from the breeder she came from, but we were the first to go see her so that's why we got her. After we sold her to them, I felt even worse because then I missed her as well. Several months later, I got Gemma when I knew I was truly ready to tackle having a new puppy. I had none of the regret or anxiety I felt with that first puppy, but up until I got Gemma, I felt so awful and regretful for rehoming that puppy before her. I was missing both her and my old Chi every day until the day we brought Gemma home.

If I were you, I would not rehome this puppy. I guarantee you are going to feel even more regret. I know it's so difficult to fight the stress and anxiety, but believe me, there will be more if you rehome her. Don't make the mistake I did. Don't try to "replace" your old Chi, Chanel, like I tried to do. This puppy is going to be completely different and you are going to grow to love her for who she is individually. Gemma is nothing like my old Chi and she is nothing like the puppy we had for a few days, but I love her more than anything.

If you ever need to talk or would like advice or help with anything, my inbox is open here. Hang in there. It will get better. Trust me.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Oh, and by the way, this forum has helped me with EVERY obstacle I've faced raising Gemma. There is no better support than this forum, I promise you. You are in the right place. I probably wouldn't have gotten Gemma if I had not stumbled upon this forum after I gave up the other puppy. After I did my research here and saw how supportive everyone was and how much they loved their Chis, I decided I was ready for my puppy and I made an account here and started chatting. They even helped me pick my little perfect Gemma while I was searching for a month before finding her. These girls are the BEST!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, you made me feel a lot better :)

I decided i'm going to keep her. I just need to get through this puppy stage, because I think full grown chihuahuas are absolutely amazing. :)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I had thought about what chidad said, but if there are chi,dren involved, it would be awkward, and feelings would likely get hurt.

I also thought about what Caitlin said. I think the big thing is whether or not you are ready for any dog right now. Really think about it. And talk about it with your family and friends, and on here. Sometimes it can help you make a decision - you get more viewpoints.

I wish you well in whatever your decision is.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hang in there it gets easier. We had not had a puppy ever when we got Holly she was only 8oz not eating ,tiny but they learn to get out of the way. I did not tote her around. I did have to feed her puppy milk as well. I hope you keep you new puppy as each day it gets easier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts