Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just have a question about my drama queen (king) chi puppy Fluffers. I got him some 2-3 weeks ago :) (got him at 11 weeks) and he's a sweet/smart/energetic little guy. He was sick for a couple of days which was when I bought a collar for him (soft nylon with plastic clip) and he didn't seem to complain too much since he was some what lethargic.

When he got better, I couldn't understand why he was still being so stiff and unenergetic until I took off the collar and he was immediately back to his old self.

I've read a lot of different methods. I've tried to feed him yummy treats when he had it on, stop feeding when I take it off, etc, but still when he has it on, he freezes. He basically just freaks out, runs around whining, finds a corner and lays down and shakes in spasms. If his crate door is closed, he'll run into some dark corner and shake and sleep. If it's open, he'll just stay in there all day almost.

I've heard people say 'just leave it on' but I'm getting progressively worried about the shaking and he just seemed almost upset at me for leaving the crate door closed during the day.

Should I be toughing this out and just ignoring the whole 'I'm dying' syndrome and leave the collar on 24/7 or should I be concerned :(? I need the collar on for ID and when he needs to go outside to do his business since he likes to dart around more and more and I don't want him running onto the road.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Hey! Welcome to the forum! :)
My guys are all naked inside our home, the collars & harnesses are for walks only.
I say let your little Fluffers be free at home, unless there is a chance he might escape.
And when you take him outside put a harness on, he'll hate it for a while, but will eventually
get used to it and associate it with fun/walk. Just make sure it is non restrictive.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
...As for the nylon collar, if you want him to get used to it put it on for a few minutes every
day, on and off, so he gets a break. It takes time for the little ones to get used to collars,
harnesses, clothing, from my experience it's normal. But as I mentioned earlier if you are really
concerned just let him be free inside the house. Outside should be easier because there are
so many distractions, the collar won't be his first priority, hopefully.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome :)!!

Good point with the outside :eek:! There's no distraction like a tootsie roll up his bum and a lawn full of grass :). When he's outside with the collar (no leash), he just runs around scratching at it intensely but still goes to do his business no problem. I do have a harness but it is just way too big for him even after I sewed it up a bit shorter :(...Fluffs is only 1.6lbs at 13 weeks.

I think I'm battling three concerns with leaving the collar on...one...that he might really be depressed, two...since he just lays there, training is delayed, and three...I don't want him to end up spoiled if I take it off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1.6 lbs at 13wks? He's so teeny. I am curious, is that normal for some chis?
I'm not too sure actually, this is my first chi. The breeder said he should be 4-5lbs. The puppy was 1.6lbs when I got him at 11 weeks but he was sick (hairball vomiting) 2 days before I took him to the vets a day ago so that might have contributed. I was sure he was going to be 2lbs this time but he remained the same.

He's eating like a lab now though.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Are there tags on the collar? Often it's the sound that scares them take off the tag and he may get better. I would 100% tough it out it's like when a dog is a picky eater eventually they will eat a dog will not starve themselves.

Once he is used to the collar and not freaking they he can be naked etc but should anything ever happen god forbid and you need that collar on him asap for his safety you cannot have him freaking out with it on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a tiny charm on it before and I have removed it but no difference. It's not even the running in circles and freaking out that I was worried about since I can ignore tantrums and whines just fine. It really bothered me how he just laid on the ground and shook and shook. He never shakes (even though a lot of chis do just naturally).

I was thinking of leaving it on during the night when he's in his carrier/bed. Last night he had it on and I slept so soundly that it felt weird lol. I wonder if that alone would get him used to it over time...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maybe just try a different collar sounds silly but maybe it's just that collar. My lab does not like his safety collar at all he will wear it but he makes his dislike well known to anyone he thinks might take it off of him. Since its nylon run your finger across it and make sure there isn't a stiff thread poking him.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
By the way, your pup is SO CUTE! :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe just try a different collar sounds silly but maybe it's just that collar. My lab does not like his safety collar at all he will wear it but he makes his dislike well known to anyone he thinks might take it off of him. Since its nylon run your finger across it and make sure there isn't a stiff thread poking him.
It's a very smooth collar :(, the only thing that i can think of that would bother him would be the plastic buckle but that's with all collars. Maybe I should try and make my own o_o..with fabric or something...

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Mine all wear them 24/7. They must have there rabies tags on at all times here or I could get a ticket plus I am afraid of them getting out and getting lost. I am of the tough it out school. Isis scratched at hers for about 2 months before she accepted it. Put it on and walk away. He will get used to it. And he sounds like he will be a little guy, though you may never know until he's finished growing. Pepper was about that weight, was charting to be under 5 pounds, but ended up 5 pounds 3 oz.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Im pretty surprised so many dogs dont wear collars/ID tags in the house, is this a UK thing?
At any dog training classes here your ID tags are checked and its stressed never to remove the ID Tag or collar etc. (Even if the dog is microchipped)

Unless you have a very secure house and 'double' set of gates theres always a risk for that doggie to get out - after all it would be an 'accident' and they do unfortunately happen...even to the most careful of people. :(

All my pups have hated wearing a collar for the first time, food or play is a great distraction ;) its like anything, it just takes some getting used to. A few days should do it, or do it in stages?

You can even get collars etc that can be engraved or embroidered with your details on so no TAG is required - so nothing to scare your pup from possibly the sound or reflection etc. :p
Maybe even a little t.shirt with your contact details printed on etc then they could wear it in the house no problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've tried to keep the collar on overnight and this morning he won't even come out of the bed to do his business even though I took it off for him. Eventually he realized he wasn't wearing it anymore and he came out.

If I put the collar on mid play or mid feeding time, he just freezes and turns into a stone. Nothing distracts him, not even bacon flavor treats :(!! (at least not for long)

There is no strict law in Toronto about dogs having to wear tags but it is common sense when they're outside walking to have ID and the rabies tag. Maybe I'll try to find a very soft harness and put the tags on that one x.x...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts