Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am SO excited that my puppy will be ready in a couple more weeks (8 weeks old as of yesterday) and I can't wait to bring him home.
It has been years since I had a puppy this young.

In the past I always had pee pads in the house for puppies and transitioned them to pee outside (it gets pretty cold in Colorado winter) but I am wondering if I should just start him peeing outside since he will have the other two to "show him where to go." What do you think?

Also I picked up a new book, "The Smart Owners Guide to the Chihuahua" (see below) and was wondering if anyone else had a GOOD chihuahua book to help me with the training? Suggestions are welcome!!

I am just so excited to start from scratch again and really want to do the best that I can raising this little guy!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I'm no help on the training but I wanted to say congrats on your newbie. I have one coming home on Wed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was tempted to do the indoor pads in the beginning with Barney. My husband didn't like the idea, so I did outdoor potty training. It has worked out pretty well.

A positive I think is that it gives me the chance to really see what he's doing, and reward it. I think I'm more impacted by the temperature than Barney is - he rarely acts like he's cold. We have two other dogs and he does like to imitate them.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
you read my mind! i got the exact same book from petsmart last week to get ready to have a puppy again! hahahaha

jan 31 i took this pic LOL

·
Registered
381 Posts
hehehe! also i'll be pee-pad trainin the new pup :) since shes gonna be a girl its gonna be much easier so the pee dont squirt everywhere LOL :lol:
Yes, boys are harder than girls, because they have to raise their leg, and when they do it, they pee all over their leg, and they don't like it. No matter how they try somewho its all over them . I have tried putting down a bag so he just lifts hig leg on that, but he is afraid of it, doesnt belong there mommy. I am not taking a pee on that bag. It worked for my moms male chis, but does not work for Timmy. They are stubborn little sweethearts.

Regina and Timmy

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Ha, all I have to do with my males is lay down a towel and they will baptize it. They will miss the pee pad, but they never miss the towel. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts