Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done research on Chihuahuas for months before finally making the purchase - getting (11 week old, if I did my math right) on Tuesday, Guiness. (He was born Nov 23rd 2004)?? Yes, I know that is still too young and it should have not been sold before 12 weeks - but there is a lot of misconceptions out there.. and well, I'm new as well so forgive me :-/

Anyhow, this is the first time I have had a PUPPY. I have had dogs before, but they were already socialized.. trained.. housebroken.. the works. I never have realized JUST how much WORK it is with a puppy. They always say - but.. I really realize this now.

I absolutey adore him though - but I am a little frustrated with his whining/barking during crate training sessions. I am t hinking I must be going about it wrong? Should I not push it - and just keep his crate as comfortable with food, toys- water and comfort and keep the door open until he manages to find it suitable environment to stay longer periods of time for (over 5 minutes)?

Right now he has to be near me.. he has to be touching me or he whines. If Im in the other room, he whines. I have tried ignoring it so he knows he doesn't get attention if he 's whining and I have to admit, it's gotten better. He's near me, which I don't mind.. but he's stopped whining even though I'm not on his level or holding him.

I am trying to socialize and train hiim into being a well-rounded, likable and friendly chihuhua, like I have known so many others.. but I am a nervous wreck thinking I'm going to totally screw him up. (I feel like a REAL mother.. everythign I do can depend on how he feels about everything for the rest of his life!).

With crate training.. barking.. and socializing.. I just need some good advice.. mainly from experience rather than pointing to articles (because I have read every article I think I could find).. but I am still frustrated because it seems harder then that.

Any hints or tips for a new chihuahua puppy owner? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
My Fynn still whines, cries, wants to be with me all the time , follows me everywhere etc etc and shes only 4.............years old that it! :D Sully and Rosie are well adjusted i hasten to add, as were Toby and Penny...........

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My pups are always out with me when I am home. I only pen my 6 month old when I go out, or if I think she needs a potty time (her litter box is in her pen). And yes, they both always want to be with me, even wanting to be held or to sit on my lap. Does your puppy have toys and chew toys to play with? Good luck. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts