Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I just got my handsome little chi, calvin, yesterday and I am having quite a time with him. Although he is adorable, he WONT sleep by himself. I put him in his crate last night and he cried and cried for almost an hour. So then, and I don't know if this was the wrong thing to do, I put him in bed with me to see if he would calm down enough for me to put him back in his kennel, and he felt right asleep. so there i am laying with a chi in my arm sound asleep all night long. Needles to say I got no sleep. What should I do tonight? Should i make him stay in his kennel and just let him cry or let him sleep with me. I really would prefer him not to sleep with me yet b/c I don't want him to have an accident and plus, hes so small, I don't wanna squish him!
Thank you so much! Oh yeah, he's not liking pottying outside too much either, We seemed to walk forever this morning and nothing! He just wants me to hold him and if I don't, he clings to my feet and cries. Sorry this is so long guys but I'm stumped!

~Rebekah~

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i can't help you with the sleeping part cause i ws suckered into sharing my bed after the 3rd night. i hear if you are persistent with it and do't give them attention while they are in it they will eventually become crate trained.... and as for the pottying do you use wee wee pads in the house?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Sully and Rosie sleep in their own beds but Fynn now sleeps with us as she 'wont' sleep anywhere else except late morning :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I crate trained with Molly, (She's 11 weeks old I've had her for a month now) the first couple nights she cried, (less each night) but after 3 nights I didn't hear a peep from her until the morning time when she was ready to get out! Now I leave the crate door open and she will put herself to bed for naps, she loves having her 'own' space.

I tried putting her in a carrier type crate, (like what you'd transport to the vet's with) and she hates those, we have a collapsable type that she can see everything through the bars, so I think that helps her not have the 'traped' feeling.

I also put a pee pad in the crate by the door...and she uses it everytime!! (She hasn't learned to use the ones laying around the house yet, but she won't piddle on anything but a pee pad in her crate!)

I wished my husband would allow her to sleep in bed with us though....I would love to wake up to her little face every morning!!! :)

Hope things get better!

but remember....if you go to them everytime they cry....they'll learn that's how they get you to come to them....so as hard as it is...try to ignore the whining as much as you can! :) Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'm afraid I'm not much help on the sleeping issue either - Jasmine has slept in the bed with me right from the first night I had her. I just got up and put her on the pee pad every couple of hours. I too was worried about rolling over on her, so I didn't get a lot of sleep the first few nights. :lol: I enjoy having her sleep with me - that is just a personal choice I made.

As for the housebreaking, it just takes time, patience and consistentcy. Have you tried using the pee pads? I think they are just great - Jasmine started using them almost as soon as I brought her home, and has not had an accident in the house now in months. She also goes outside, but still uses the pads at night and when I'm not home.

How old is your pup? When they are very young, they need to go potty a lot - their little bladders are tiny and they can't hold it very long. Just be patient - it takes a while for them to catch on, but he will.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this advice is great. Thank you. I love sleeping with him too, don't get me wrong, but I'm so afraid I'm gonna roll over on him! He's only 1 lb! :)

I've heard good things about the pee pad but honestly, I would really much rather use the potty outside than on little pads all over the house. Do you think it would still work If I had them outside him kennel when I have to leave him alone and then when I'm home he would go outside?

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
my 3 chi's sleep with me in bed :D ..............;o yes and the boyfriend ofcourse :wink:

don't worry you will squash them in your sleep, they will let you hear it :wink:

kisses nat

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i made a rule with chiw, she can sleep in my bed as long as she sleeps in her bed which is next to my pillow. i think she understood that arrangement and i hven't had any problems with her laying anywhere else. i even say chiwi go to bed and up she goes right into her bed :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
If I had a puppy, I'd be less concerned about squashing them than waking up in a puddle of piss!!!

I highly recommend crate training so that your chi is used to it, then you can decide to let him sleep with you if you want, but crate train first! My dogs weren't crate trained and started with the bed, and there are so many times I wish I had them when they were younger so that I could retrain them to be okay with the crate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
lovinuchi said:
I've heard good things about the pee pad but honestly, I would really much rather use the potty outside than on little pads all over the house. Do you think it would still work If I had them outside him kennel when I have to leave him alone and then when I'm home he would go outside?
Molly was only 6 wks when we got her, to young to begin teaching potty training ...and too little of a bladder to hold it very long, so we put the pee pads (3 or 4) out so they were easily accessible to put her on if we saw her sniffing, just so she'd learn that was a good place to potty, but now that she's 11 wks, we only keep one at her kennel for the middle of the night potty's, and take her outside during the day if we see her sniffing.....so she's learning both, just this morning she went into her kennel and potty'd on the pad! I was so excited it wasn't even funny!! lol...oh the little things in life :lol:

But the best part is during the day when we're not home with her, instead of having to keep her in her kennel, I bought a large octagon pet pen, I completly cover the floor w/pee pads, then put a sheet on top of them (so she doesn't move or tear/chew them up) then put the Pen on top of the sheet, that way where ever she potty's...it's going thru the sheet onto the pee pads vs the carpet! of course I have one on the very top that she can see *hoping* she will use it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
We got our chis at the same time-I had the travel alarm clock and hot water bottle ready,but we never had to use them-We crate trained-after a few months we started letting them sleep with us about 1x a week-now they sleep with us most of the time. When we go out for short trips I'll put them in their crate-If we're going to be gone more than a few hours they spend the day in my daughters room with the door closed-food & water & their litter box (they always ripped apart the potty pads)My chis are a year old and they know that their crate is their "safe" place.(would'nt it be nice to have a place like that? :wink: )Chek out this web site-www.midwesthomes4pets.com-click on Why crate train? and then How to crate train-they also have a video available for about $6. Crate training is probably the best thing I ever did for my babies! -----PS My Tiki is a little snuggle bug. He has been sat on twice and not a peep either time, just lift up the quilt to make sure he is ok and the look on his face :shock: He did'nt even jump up, just went back under the covers. Anyway, Good Luck :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi again-we got our puppies last June and within 2 days they would go to the front door if they had to go potty-we would take them to a certain spot and say "Go potty" and they would go. I thought this was great,but, when we went to the vet he said not to bring them outside at all even the 30 seconds it would take them to pee-until they had all their shots and were big enough for Frontline and heartworm meds. So we tried potty pads and they shredded them and then would go pee by the door & when we put a potty pad by the door, my girl Lola, pooed on the floor next to it and then pulled the pad over it! So-we ended up with the doggie litter box & doggie litter-wich they did'nt like either, but got used to. We actually had to put their harnesses & leashes on and walk them to the box and say go potty(this technique did not work with the pads for some reason)--When we were finally able to walk them, they would walk around the block and run back into the house to use the litter box! Then it got too cold to go out and finally, this spring, after a bit of convincing, they will do both (litter box& outside) :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
i had odie at 6 weeks by 8 weeks if he remembers he goes diving into the litter tray. :wink: there have been a few accidents but he is very young so i dont blame him. he whines at me or licks my face pawing at me if he is asleep with me in the bed that he needs to go.he is so smart. :wink: :wink: *smooches him* :) :)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I always used the crate

Well it's not really a crate, it is a laundry basket. We got Gizmo at 8 weeks and he slept in his basket, next to the bed on my husbands side. No peep out of him unless he had to pee and then he started whining. I don't use wee wee pads and never have with him. However, I do not work and have totally devoted myself to potty training him outside, he only has had 2 accidents and both have been heading towards the door.

My husband and I want him to sleep in the bed with us, but our bed is very high and we have wooden floors so you can imagine how devastating a fall would be. The good thing about him using his basket is that is his "Home" and I transport him everywhere. The best thing about Gizmo and what has made his potty training so easy is the breeder introduced them to "outside" at 7 weeks, so he knew what to do when we got him.

I recommend if you can don't use the pads, but that is just me, he is 3 months old and he runs around the house by himself for about 1 hour, and then in his basket he goes, and when he needs to pee, he lets me know.

Good luck and be persistent, I had problems with him crying when I put him in an actual crate, but now I leave him alone in his basket and he goes right to sleep, he could jump out but he doesn;t...if you look at the pictures you can see he can reach the rim easily....but he did try once and fell on his head (owww) and learned not to jump....

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Ii had Gadget in a laundry basket for a while but then he got big enough to climb up the sides... Didn't want him hurtung himself so I made him his pen... He loves his bed.. He has been in our bed and his bed since the day I brought him home..

This last week or so he has started a new thing,,, he crawls over to Mark's pillows and lyes right on his face... with that or he will crawl up on top of his head... We still haven't figured that one out... he is so silly...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
Ii had Gadget in a laundry basket for a while but then he got big enough to climb up the sides... Didn't want him hurtung himself so I made him his pen... He loves his bed.. He has been in our bed and his bed since the day I brought him home..

This last week or so he has started a new thing,,, he crawls over to Mark's pillows and lyes right on his face... with that or he will crawl up on top of his head... We still haven't figured that one out... he is so silly...
I saw the pictures you posted of Gadget's pen, we will enventually have to docture up a similar pen. He can get out right now if he wants, clever little fellow puts his feet in the holes and hoists himself out, but like I said he fell once and now he is scared, but when he can just hop out, we'll do the pen idea. He likes the open air top you know?

P.S. where did you get your metal cubes? Walmart has them for 19$ for just 4, and I want them to be higher than the basket, so did you snap them on top of each other??

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I got mine from costco... I think I ended up with 16 or 18 for $20.00.

I actually zip tied them together and I made them stair step up to our bed... so he can get from our bed to his bed then down to his water/food and then down to his potty pad..

and then I have them at the foot of the bed for him to get off our bed.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Awesome

Gadget's Mom said:
I got mine from costco... I think I ended up with 16 or 18 for $20.00.

I actually zip tied them together and I made them stair step up to our bed... so he can get from our bed to his bed then down to his water/food and then down to his potty pad..

and then I have them at the foot of the bed for him to get off our bed.
I will definately have to do that!! I don't have a Costco card, but I do have a BJ's which is similar to it, I'll have to check and see if then have them..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts