Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone, I'm just after your opinions/advice if I could do more?

We picked up our beautiful almost 14wk old Beatrice on Sunday. Where we got her from was more like a puppy mill rather than a loving home. She and another puppy from a different litter were left in a cage, for what seems like all day and all night! Sh is very anxious, shy and won't really play at all (although she has played a little bit)

She's taken to huge dislike to my mother (whoops lol) literally runs away at the sound of her voice. We're working on this with 'quiet time' where my mum just sits very quietly, I sit next to her as reassurance for Beatrice.

Beatrice isn't fussed on her crate At ALL, but once in there does calm down after a few cries and a few firm 'no' I also have clip on bowls for her crate for water/food. I don't know of anyone who puts food and water in crates?:toothy8:

Fingers crossed toilet training is going really good!!! Since Sunday she has had 2 pees on the carpet, both times I used an old tea towel to pick the pee up and placed it on the corner of her puppy pad... #2 is another story lol.

Having never owned a chihuahua before I'm wondering if there is more I could do to help her? Sorry for the huge post (and missing letters from words lol) :toothy8:

·
Registered
839 Posts
You don't really need to worry about food and water in her crate - she's likely to make a mess, and she should never be in there long enough that she NEEDS it in there.

However, when you DO feed her, put her food dish in her crate and have her eat her meals in there. Treats too. This way her crate becomes somewhere that good things happen and she'll soon have no problem being in there.

If she cries, let her. Don't tell her "no" or raise your voice while she's in the crate. The crate should never be a place of punishment - real or perceived - and you should aim for only very positive reinforcement when it comes to her crate.

Remember, you've only had her for a couple days and this is a MASSIVE life change for her. She just needs time to get used to her new family and home, and being away from her sibling(s).

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree with what Alaina said, she needs time to adjust. That's great about the potty training! My two practically trained themselves lol.... They still have the occasional accident but it's usually when we haven't paid close enough attention to their need to go out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both :) I only tell her no as that's 'kind' of what happened at the breeders, except she shouted at the top of her voice :/

This is no excuse but this is my first encounter of using a crate, we never did with any other dog we had owned. I'll stop the 'no' immediately and remove the food and water in the morning so I don't disturb her tonight (it's 1:34am) and in turn make the crate a fun and positive experience :D

Honestly, thank you. Some times hearing others opinions and advice just clicks things in to place

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Just another opinion here: I use a Iris pen that the crate goes into with pee pads, paper, or human washable pee pads go. (I use the washable ones that are 34x36 inches and fit the Iris pen. That way she has some freedom to walk around, and have some toys to chew. She can look out and still feel safe. Your mom could walk past and toss some puppy treats at her. Don't force her to be friends. Probably the breeder was feared by the puppy, and your mom's voice reminds her? I bet within a week they will be fast friends.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just another opinion here: I use a Iris pen that the crate goes into with pee pads, paper, or human washable pee pads go. (I use the washable ones that are 34x36 inches and fit the Iris pen. That way she has some freedom to walk around, and have some toys to chew. She can look out and still feel safe. Your mom could walk past and toss some puppy treats at her. Don't force her to be friends. Probably the breeder was feared by the puppy, and your mom's voice reminds her? I bet within a week they will be fast friends.
The breeder had 6 adults in 1 cage/pen and the 2 puppies in another, adults all barked so she was very loud getting them to stop. We'll start a whole fresh day tomorrow with all your helpful tips. :) thank you xx

·
Registered
839 Posts
Thank you both :) I only tell her no as that's 'kind' of what happened at the breeders, except she shouted at the top of her voice :/

This is no excuse but this is my first encounter of using a crate, we never did with any other dog we had owned. I'll stop the 'no' immediately and remove the food and water in the morning so I don't disturb her tonight (it's 1:34am) and in turn make the crate a fun and positive experience :D

Honestly, thank you. Some times hearing others opinions and advice just clicks things in to place
Absolutely, everyone here is really happy to help with whatever questions you may have and won't judge you :) Everyone is new at this at one point, and it's great to have a forum like this one where you can get advice, tips, and experiences from lots of others who have been through the same thing a time or two, to help you along.

The crate thing can be hard, especially when they cry - it's SO HARD not to run over and open the crate and sooth and coddle them lol. We have a 6 month old currently, and he's the third puppy we've raised so far and it doesn't get easier! But hard as it is, hold firm. Just remember that there really isn't anything wrong, she's not hurt or in danger or anything serious. And ease her into it gradually, if you can. Give her a stuffed Kong or something similar, in her crate and close the door for half an hour or so at a time, while you're in the room going about your normal activities, so she gets the idea that the crate isn't a prison or a punishment or a bad place. Then do an hour, so on and so forth, if you have the time and ability to acclimatize her slowly. And crate training is a great way to ensure she is completely safe while you're away, and that your house is safe while you're away :D And by no means does it have to be a lifetime system, that's entirely up to you. I have never crated any of my dogs as adults; for us, it's just a tool for puppyhood that we eventually discontinue (we're actually just in the last two weeks starting to leave Finley uncrated when we go out for very short periods of time, half an hour to an hour-ish, to ease him into full-fledged freedom as an adult).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely, everyone here is really happy to help with whatever questions you may have and won't judge you :) Everyone is new at this at one point, and it's great to have a forum like this one where you can get advice, tips, and experiences from lots of others who have been through the same thing a time or two, to help you along.

The crate thing can be hard, especially when they cry - it's SO HARD not to run over and open the crate and sooth and coddle them lol. We have a 6 month old currently, and he's the third puppy we've raised so far and it doesn't get easier! But hard as it is, hold firm. Just remember that there really isn't anything wrong, she's not hurt or in danger or anything serious. And ease her into it gradually, if you can. Give her a stuffed Kong or something similar, in her crate and close the door for half an hour or so at a time, while you're in the room going about your normal activities, so she gets the idea that the crate isn't a prison or a punishment or a bad place. Then do an hour, so on and so forth, if you have the time and ability to acclimatize her slowly. And crate training is a great way to ensure she is completely safe while you're away, and that your house is safe while you're away :D And by no means does it have to be a lifetime system, that's entirely up to you. I have never crated any of my dogs as adults; for us, it's just a tool for puppyhood that we eventually discontinue (we're actually just in the last two weeks starting to leave Finley uncrated when we go out for very short periods of time, half an hour to an hour-ish, to ease him into full-fledged freedom as an adult).
That's exactly my plan! To have her roam her home freely. I definitely don't let her out, she's already got me slightly twisted round her little paw... dread to imagine if I let her out at night lol.

Good news is, she's been darting round like a loony this morning. Now she's having a little rest :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a little update for you all!!

Beatrice is now 16wks and 2 days old. Today she had her final vaccination so 2 weeks til she can go for a walkies.

I've completely stopped saying no, and removed food/water when she is in her crate, and will go into it willingly. She's also now sitting - even before I ask, she will do 'down' and she will also leave things if I tell her leave. Patience... patience... patience. I forgot what having a puppy round us was like.

Just wondering if anyone can suggest anything to help her and my mum bond. She will not go near her at all! She just wants me all the time (I'm trying to coax her out of this as we speak)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Well, lets see: first have your mom feed her from her hand. All treats come from your mom. Second; See if you can convince your mom to speak in a higher voice, cooing to the dog. Don't let your Mom lean over her. This is a big no no. Have your Mom hold the pup with you next to her. Then graduate to having her hold the pup without you there. Is there a PetCo/Smart near you? Socialize this puppy by bringing her to a place where it is safe for people to pet her. Also a puppy obedience/socialization class is critical. Keep up what you're doing. Good luck; keep us updated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much Susan Davis!!

Beatrice will now goto mum for loving, hopping up onto her chest and gives her all the kisses in the world.... as long as Beatrice wants to lol. There are days when Beatrice won't go near mum at all, specifically when she's wearing black? Takes Beatrice a few days to overcome but we stick to it. Day by day she's really opening up to everyone else (she's 100% fine with me)

She's also learnt new things, paw, high five, roll over, bed (will even goto bed for mum!!!)... she is so SO eager to please, and learn it's just incredible.

I have to say chihuahuas definitely aren't what people expect lol.

I have a cheeky, tiny version of a grey hound on my hands but I wouldn't have her any other way. Xox

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Wonderful news!! Food can be a big motivator! Lots of praise from your mom, too, will work. I once had a sweatshirt with a large picture of an italian greyhound face on it. My then puppy was in my roommates arms, and suddenly was growling. I figured out it was the picture of the dog. Maybe black color reminds her of something.? I'd do the same, use a dark towel and drape it over your mom's shoulder. Lots of praise and treats for being OK with it. Slowly, over a week or so,have your Mom put on a dark sweater/blouse. just do the same thing that worked before. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts