Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my boyfriend and I recently got our puppy last monday, her name is Princess Nicole, we are a gay couple in metro detroit, shes a cutie, but she stresses us out, she wont let us be alone, she must have both my boyfriend and i together with her or she whines, we are going to try crate training, and potty training is currently an epic fail for both of us.

she is a very stubborn puppy, worse than any dog either of us have ever owned. not sure what we should be doing and what the best methods are because each dog is different, but wevve tried a few methods and none of them are working at the moment

thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she is 8 weeks on next monday, and we know its going to take a lot of effort to get her trained, that we are ready for, shes adorable and sure knows how to put on the puppy look when shes sad

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Chihuahuas NEED to be with their humans. They were breed for centuries to be companion dogs. If you want a more aloof dog, then a chi is not the dog for you. You can not train them to be happy away from you, its hard wired into their psyche. And, how old is she? That will help us give suggestions on how to potty train her. What methods are you using? Outside or pee pads? How long are you crating her for? Young puppies can not hold it for hours and hours. Give us a little more info and we will be glad to give you some suggestions on what has worked for us. And welcome to chi people.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
she is 8 weeks on next monday, and we know its going to take a lot of effort to get her trained, that we are ready for, shes adorable and sure knows how to put on the puppy look when shes sad
She is very young,it's a whole new world for her ,new home away from mum and siblings so she wants to attach herself to both of you and it will take time,for her to settle,with lots of TLC you will have an adorable dog

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
At 8 weeks you have to just accept you have a long way to go with the potty training. Chi's are notoriously slow to pick up potty training but if you're consistent you will find that one day when she's about 4 months old it will just click - happened for both of mine.

On the clingyness, well I have a solution that will work immediately but it might not be an option for you - get another puppy! Axle was extremely clingy and when we had been out at work all day he would keep us up until midnight giving him attention because he hadn't seen us all day. I just knew that he was lonely so we got our 2nd Chi Chloe 8 weeks after we got Ax and his personality changed overnight. He still loves us but he's not obsessed and fixated on us. I know it's not a practical solution for everyone but it worked really well for us, I just can't imagine life with only one dog because they are just the best of friends and totally inseparable.
Good luck with Princess, she's a cutie pie!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Welcome to Chi people.. and I agree that chis either have to be with their people or with another chi.. The breed is a true "companion" dog..lol We found that our older chis were instrumental in training our new pup additions thru the years. We also have found our chis to be "breed snobs.." They really do prefer to be with their own kind as opposed to other breeds. Additionally, 8 week old pups do have very small bladders and aren't capable of holding it very long, so please be patient with her. We have always used a playpen in lieu of a crate. You can put their bed/food/water and toys on one end, and their potty pads on the other end. They have figured it out fairly quickly using this method. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
With her being so young, this will be the best set-up for her for now. She will have food and water and pee pads and a bed and toys to play with. And its bigger and she can see out. They basically teach themself to use the pee pads. I have 7 weeks old puppies right now that from 5 weeks were reliably using the pads and not their blankets. Now, as soon as I change their pads, they all run over and pee. lol As she gets older, you take one pad out, then you can move her to pottying outside if you want. Also, with her being so young, you may be giving her a little too much freedom, when she is out of the pen, she must be watched at all times while she plays with you.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I agree with the above poster. I have used a puppy playpen too. Just like the one pictured. Worked great. Still up, as my dog really loves her "house' and goes in right away. Big time security. Her little crate is in there too. At 8 weeks this baby has no bladder/bowel control yet. It will come, but for now the playpen is the answer to your woes! Sue

·
Registered
64 Posts
We too have been struggling with the potty training woes! Our chi is 12 weeks today and have been "battling" for 4 weeks now. We have been using the pen tactic too and it is very handy for when you just can't have yours eyes on her. We take her out to potty every half hour, after eating, drinking, sleeping and after a big play. WHEW! it seems like we take her out 30 times a day or more! but...I think she is starting to get it FINALLY! She goes in her pen when we are "busy" and kennelled at night or when we are not home. We even use a bell on the door that we ring every time we take her out and say outside. Still waiting for her to give us a "cue" that she has to go though or ring the bell but...hopefully soon! I keep waiting for the "lightbulb" to go on! I figure it's got to be soon! FINGERS CROSSED!
Good luck to you ...and definately...get a pen...or a kennel...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts