Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
We've decided to call our new 'lemon' coloured girl (lol) "Luna" :hello1:

She is 9 weeks old and OMG we have had a rough few nights!!
She has been the hardest puppy we have ever known, she cried at literally everything, and constantly - you can imagine the lack of sleep we've had!

We completely ignored her throughout, we know it can take a few days but by the 3rd night of literally NON-STOP high pitched crying I thought we have to put her in Pixies bed so their not alone and luckily this worked on the 3rd night before then Pixie wouldnt allow it.

Pixie's reaction to Luna really suprised us...she plays with our EBT fine who is a giant to her and our EBT is the submissive one, yet Pixie snapped at Luna about 3 times, she totally avoided her at first and was even refusing to sniff her etc.
I was always present with them and encouraged them to play together etc and eventually Pixie gave the play bow and everything seems ok, and sleeping together they are fine now and no crying! (although Luna does still cry when we leave the room but not much)

Im just wondering if anyone elses Chi had a reaction like this to a puppy? Does it last or can they be best buds in the end?

Pixie is well behaved and does do what I command so when she gets too rough with Luna and it looks like its creating too much submission in Luna I click and Pixie stops - but she does play rough, biting Lunas legs, ears, face etc which is fine but not constantly as Luna needs to learn too :confused:

Also whatever toy Luna plays with, Pixie comes straight along and takes it. I can swap it and she'll just want whatever Luna has! Again I can control this and get Pixie to leave Luna by sitting and waiting but when we're not around to over see this Im worried Lunas just going to end up bullied by Pixie who we've tried to raise as sociably as our EBT whom accepts any dogs etc.

Any advice for a new pupp situation?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Please try not to interfere with the interaction between the chihuahuas! Pixie will 'tell' Luna when she has gone too far. As far as the toy business goes, I think most adult dogs will want what the puppy wants! It will get better. Zarita never did get rough with Emmie, as much as I wanted her to! Z's tail was a sorry looking apendage after Em got through with it! Good luck. Sue

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
It does get better, try to interfere with their interactions. They will work it out unless you see that puppy is in danger. Good luck!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Our Tinkerbell is exactly the same with Pebbles and our Mini Poodle x, Elmo. Yogi has never bothered her, but he doesn't really play with toys & she LOVES toys. Bell constantly snaps & snarls at Pebbles but she has never seriously hurt her, we think she was just an "only child" for too long :p

She still (after 2 months) doesn't particularly like Pebbles sleeping with her, but will tolerate it if it's cold. I wonder if it's a girl thing with her as she is much more tolerant of the boys??

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I agree, let them figure it out themself unless the puppy is in danger. Puppies are submissive to adults, it's very normal behavior. And my dog's steal each others toys all the time. You're teaching Pixie her playing is wrong and she may start to resent the puppy. That's how dogs play, biting anything they can get too. And I have a few that play growling at the top of their lungs. But it's normal for them to be vocal.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks everyone, good to know your experiences.
I totally understand to let them sort out their own dominance and I let the rough play continue.

Sometimes it does get so Luna is 'frozen' and lying on the floor appearing afraid to move, whilst Pixie is nipping her to 'stay' down - I dont want Luna's submission to become so timid that she feels she cant play with a toy for fear she'll get put in her place by Pixie, she'll end up sat in a corner afraid to move lol.

They sleep together fine so thats good, I just hope one day they'll be best buds, I hope Pixie enjoys Lunas company... at the moment its hard to tell :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep, we have only Had ted a week and heidi has had a few snaps at him, still does. My kids worry but it is natural.. Its thereway of telling the other the ranking order and when enough is enough, just like there mother would do.. I also a strong beleiver that you as the owner should be top dog.. If Heidi Takes it too far I step in there and take over.. heidi is terrible with food and will attack the others for theres if allowed so I have taught her not to and to keep a boundary away from them. She does try to push it but all I have to do is look and say no and she moves away..

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It can take a while for dogs to accept a new puppy in the house, esp if they have a tendency to bully or become jealous at all. It took ages before Adam stopped attacking Heidi and generally bullying the living heck out of her. Now though 2 years down the line they will happily play together and most of the time Adam will let her bully him now!!:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
hiya i have a pup (cleo) the same age,ive got a 3year old shih tzu (masey)and 7month old chi (bell) ..there all girls,bell was really jumpy round her when we first got her,she wouldnt want cleo touching her at all but got better with her every day,bell takes everything off her too,food toys chews the lot lol..masey growls and snaps at her but thats only when she gets too rough,ive just been leaving them to it.i left bell and masey too it wen i got bell and there fine now.as for the crying,i think she would be terrible lol,but she has never been on her own she sleeps with masey or me at night..good luck with your new pup :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts