Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several new litters i'm looking at of chis and there are some that are due this month as well, so..lots of possibilities.
I literally feel like i'm going bananas, looking at chi puppies is I think , THE most stressful thing in the world. It is so hard to determine what size it's going to be, and what its face, or muzzle or color will turn out as it ages. UGH!!! :foxes15: And if you wait around to see, guess what.. they get sold :( ! Anyhoo, I am so incredibly undecided if i want SC or LC. It changes from day to day. :confused: And color i'm having a hard time deciding. It's hard when you know it's gonna be your last and you want to make the right decision.
One thing I do know for sure is i'm getting a male this time! :D
Okay, so what i'd like to know is what are the major differences between LC and SC.
For those of you that have both LC and SC tell me your thoughts and pros and cons of each, i think it may help. :)
Thanks!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Ummm well, the major dif between SC and LC is...COAT! That actually is THE ONLY difference, at least per standard.

I find that LC shed less obnoxiously.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I don't really think there is any difference other than the way they look but I do think LC's probably shed a bit less. I know Pip sheds more than my Pom ever did. Crazy that. Roo doesn't shed at all though, but she doesn't have much to shed.

LC's require more care of their coat I'd say, especially if they are double coated and have a thick coat. I think mainly it's really just personal preference. I'm a short coat girl myself, I just always find myself more drawn to the look of short coated chi's. Good luck with your decision, Cheryl. :)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Regarding coat, I, too, think the only difference is the "look." I have found both LC and SC to be the same in temperment, etc. You have already made the big decision as to whether you want a male or female, and coat length is purely cosmetic.

Between 1990 when we got our first chi baby, and now 21 years later, we have lived with 14 wonderful chihuahuas ( 5 have gone over the Rainbow Bridge).. 12 SC, 2 LC~~~ 8 of them males, 6 of them females. It is absolutely a person's own preference as to what they choose.. Me, I like the male personality and the SC best. Happy hunting~ Deb

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The double coated (correctly coated) shortcoats shed quite a bit. The single coated sparser coat (like Brody's and Roo's for example) is a very thin single coat and Brody doesn't shed at all! So that's one thing to consider if you are looking at a sc. Does Leila shed much? I think she has a pretty thick coat?

I'm happy that you are considering a boy! Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
The double coated (correctly coated) shortcoats shed quite a bit. !
I can vouch for this. Pip sheds a lot, (about twice a year in particular it gets really bad) and he's double coated.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah my smooth coat has a thick double coat and sheds CONSTANTLY, like if I sit him on my knee and stroke him once it covers me in hair! I quite like having one of each type, though I think smooth is my favourite. How come it definately has to be your last one? Maybe you could find parents that you really like and put your name down for a pup, if you don't mind waiting.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't really think there is any difference other than the way they look but I do think LC's probably shed a bit less. I know Pip sheds more than my Pom ever did. Crazy that. Roo doesn't shed at all though, but she doesn't have much to shed.

LC's require more care of their coat I'd say, especially if they are double coated and have a thick coat. I think mainly it's really just personal preference. I'm a short coat girl myself, I just always find myself more drawn to the look of short coated chi's. Good luck with your decision, Cheryl. :)
I have always like the sc the best also, but find myself ogling the furry ears of the lc. lol
Thanks!!
Regarding coat, I, too, think the only difference is the "look." I have found both LC and SC to be the same in temperment, etc. You have already made the big decision as to whether you want a male or female, and coat length is purely cosmetic.

Between 1990 when we got our first chi baby, and now 21 years later, we have lived with 14 wonderful chihuahuas ( 5 have gone over the Rainbow Bridge).. 12 SC, 2 LC~~~ 8 of them males, 6 of them females. It is absolutely a person's own preference as to what they choose.. Me, I like the male personality and the SC best. Happy hunting~ Deb
Thanks Deb! :)

The double coated (correctly coated) shortcoats shed quite a bit. The single coated sparser coat (like Brody's and Roo's for example) is a very thin single coat and Brody doesn't shed at all! So that's one thing to consider if you are looking at a sc. Does Leila shed much? I think she has a pretty thick coat?

I'm happy that you are considering a boy! Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
She has a very thick coat, and shed's quite a bit. I'd like to avoid more hair in the house lol. Yes I am psyched for a little boy :D

I can vouch for this. Pip sheds a lot, (about twice a year in particular it gets really bad) and he's double coated.
Leila sheds all the time. :( Not ridiculous, just enough to be noticable though.
Yeah my smooth coat has a thick double coat and sheds CONSTANTLY, like if I sit him on my knee and stroke him once it covers me in hair! I quite like having one of each type, though I think smooth is my favourite. How come it definately has to be your last one? Maybe you could find parents that you really like and put your name down for a pup, if you don't mind waiting.
Because I think 4 dogs is enough for us. I can't imagine more and my hubby would probably kill me in my sleep. lol He doesn't even really know about this one. ;)

Are they very much trouble as far as getting tangled up and having to brush alot? That, and the shedding are my main concerns really.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
My sc girls shed, but my lc boy doesn't. I think as far as grooming lc need a little extra. I trim in between Maxx's paws, and by his wee-wee so he didn't pee on his tummy fur ;). I've also started trimming his tail and pants a bit because it was getting ridiculously long. He had just got a trim in my siggy pic. I don't know if you can tell. I brush him every few days. I've never had a problem with tangles or knots. I think his diets gets credit for that. :)

As far as temperament goes, I think that falls under breeding and training. But Maxx is definitely the sweetest of my crew. He is so loving with the others. Maybe because he's surrounded by girls. Lucky boy! :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
The difference between Chibi and Yoshi is Chibi is so much softer and he loves to cuddle :) I am sure that has nothing to do with the coat but just how it is in my home. Chibi's coat is a bit more of a hassle for grooming and if he has bowel issues then it can get on the coat and be tougher to get off. Chibi sheds more than Yoshi but Yoshi has an almost non-existent coat so I am not sure how that would compare to the normal SC Chi :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Gia has a super thick coat, and Chance's is pretty thick too. Lexie & Jade don't have as thick of coats as they do, but it's not what you'd call thin either. I would say all 4 of mine shed about equally.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have the one LC male, Reggie. He only really needs to get brushed after he gets a bath. I have only had to cut one tangle out of his coat, by his ear, when I first got him. I do recommend trimming the belly fur as he does tend to pee on it if I don't. Marmalade has long hair, too, but she is a mix. I had to cut quite a few tangles out of her, by her ears, in her armpits, and on her pants, when I first got her. But I only brush her when she gets a bath and have had no more tangles since she's been here.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do you guys trim your lc's? With scissor or clippers? ANd how in the world do you get them to hold still for that ? :confused: I am a liscensed stylist but never trimmed a dog before. lol
Leila is rotten to the core, i can't even trim her nails. :mad: Maybe the next one won't be as ornery for groomtime. ;)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You don't really have to trim a longcoat unless you are putting it in show groom or to trim the foot bottoms...I have a little $14 trimmer that is batter powered I just neaten up feet with once a month and that is really all that is necessary. A correct coat on a LC should NOT resemble a pom in texture, quantity, or length. It should be silky, straight (or with a slight wave), and smooth to the touch. A double coated LC is preferred but still, this does not change how the coat should feel -- if the coat is correct, brushing it is never an issue, not even extremely necessary, but you can expect to do it once a week. If you're Bryco's mommy, you do it at least twice a day though, because he carries you the little slicker brush looking so pathetic its impossible to say no. That said it's tough to tell when they are a puppy what kind of coat they will have.

So I guess the answer to brushing is...as often or as seldom as you'd like. Their fur does reach a maximum length and it doesn't matt.

You really don't need to trim them at all.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Aw, Leila looks so innocent. I couldn't imagine her ever being rotten. :)

I use scissors on Maxx, even in between his paw pads. Thankfully he is extremely good when he is getting trimmed. I love how the bottom of his paws look after I trim them. :)
I lay him on his back for his paw and tummy trim, and he stands for his tail and pants trim. I would not recommend using scissors on the paws if you have a dog that pulls their paw away or wiggles around. I would use clippers instead, for fear of cutting them. It's probably faster too. :)
Everywhere else I'd use scissors. When I do his pants I trim with the scissors pointed down. I think it gives a more natural look, and not choppy. I really only do a light trimming on him.
I'm not a groomer/ handler, so maybe someone else can give some expert advice. :)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Ivy and Fern don't shed much at all. If they are on my lap they don't leave any hair. Willow has a double coat and sheds more but not excessive. I wonder if living in a mild climate all year round makes a difference. Maybe it confuses their shedding seasons lol!!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I dont notice any shedding from my three either, and Reese has a thick double coat and Leo is an LC. The only fur Im always cleaning up from around our house belongs to our lab!
Dont be stressed! Choosing a puppy is FUN! And spring is just the best time to get one I think. Find a breeder you like, parents and past puppies that you like the look of, and just pick whoever stands out to you. I dont think there is just one right puppy, if you choose your breeder carefully thats the biggest decision, then all thats left is picking a cute puppy.
If I had my choice of any color I wouldnt have immediately chosen Leo but now I think he is just the most handsome little man and a gorgeous color. And as long as youre on this forum seeing everyones adorable little chis all the time there will probably be more colors, etc that you love and want, no matter what you get this time. At least thats how I am :)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I know exactely what you mean ,it's mind boggling looking for a puppy and as you said if you don't get in there quick they're gone,good luck with your search

1 - 20 of 29 Posts