Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting my first chihuahua puppy in 6 weeks. I am incredibly excited! Im trying to be prepared and stock up on everything the puppy will need in advance. So far, I have bought
-Small play pen (similar to crate but open top)
-Royal Canin Junior Chihuahua Food
-Puppy Sweater!
-2 Chew Toys

I am finding out next week if I am getting a male or female puppy as the breeder is keeping whichever is more suitable for showing and my pup will be just a pet. As soon as I know, I will get a puppy collar and an xs harness and lead also. (puppy will be 10 weeks and im hoping that a puppia xs will fit or be close enough)

Have i forgotten anything???? Do I need to get wormer and flea treatment or should I just let the vet do this? Ive never had a dog so small and Im not sure if most wormers would be too strong??

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Welcome,what about puppy pads,cuddly toy,i would ask the breeder about worming as mine gave me some tabs,flea treatment ? she/he shouldn't have any fleas when you pick her/him up if she's a good breeder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Meant to mention that I have puppy pads too. My breeder is very reputable and came highly recommended so I will ask about flea/worming regime!

My only 2 fears in advance are that

a) the dog will be so hard to house train
b) will be difficult to socialize

From what Ive read about chihuahuas these are 2 pitfalls?? Also, my parents have a miniature dachshund who we all love to pieces but she has both of the above problems! She hates ALL other dogs and strangers and only pees outside when it suits her!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Mine love:

• beds
  • lots of blankets
  • toys (This can be kind of specific. Mine do not like rubbery squeaky toys but LOVE soft, stuffed/plush squeaky toys)
  • definitely get plenty of things to chew (Nylabones flexichews happen to be our current favs)
  • high quality treats
  • something like Nature's Miracle to clean up accidents because they will happen

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help so far guys. Appreciate the harness advice but im not based in the US (in Ireland) so I dont have easy access to all the great pet stuff on sale over there :(

This is the first harness im planning on getting. They use the exact same measurements as puppia but its about 1/2 the price. I will get a puppia when the dog is grown but it seems like a lot of money for a harness that may only last a couple of weeks.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/120780487672...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Well i have 2 and they were housetrained by the time they were 14 weeks,as long as you take them outside after they have woken up or after feeding ,if they do a wee/poop lots of praise and a treat,watch for the signs they want to pee/poop they usualy go sniffing about
Socialize as soon as possible,carry her/him into pet shops etc so she has as much contact with people and sees other dogs,i know you can't put her down till after all her injections but it helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts