Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, seems that good things come to those who wait! I wasn't expecting to be getting a puppy until Autumn but one has just become available and he's VERY local, so we are going to go and see him this week.

I have a couple of questions though (mostly new puppy owner worries), I'd be really happy if people could answer for me.

1) What are the specific things I should be looking out for when I go to visit (beyond the normal general pet buying things like nice coat, clear eyes, easy breathing, clean home, knowledgeable owners, seeing the parents)?

2) I have NOTHING here for the puppy so it's going to be a bit of manic buying between now and then (I figure even if I don't get this puppy, I will have the items on hand anyway, but I'd rather not go into it without anything). I basically only have access to Pets at Home (UK) because of how little time I have (normally I'd shop around online and get the best). What are the BARE essentials I would need for his first few weeks at home? I assume a bed (I was thinking igloo type), pee pads (he is pee pad trained) - I want to get one of those grate puppy toilets (forget the name) but would have to order online, bowls, and food would be the bare essentials. Would I DEFINITELY need a cage to keep him in? How else would I keep him isolated to a particular area of the house if I didn't have one?

Thanks! I'm getting a bit scatty now - didn't expect it so soon. Super excited though! :):hello1:

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Ohhhhhhh congrats, we need pics tho!!!

1. The things you already said and see the parents if poss, may not be able to see the dad as he may not be owned by the breeder buy you should be able to see the mum and the other puppies and the mother should have a healthy happy temperment. Also Rockys breeder asked ME lots of questions its was like a job interview to see if I was right to have one of her puppies lol. Also I would want the puppy to be vet checked before, my brother got a puppy that hadn't and she had a horrible case of ear mites. You should get dates and a records of worming, injections plus a care sheet and what food has been fed. A reputable breeder will not sell a puppy younger than at least 8 weeks, should be between 8-12 weeks.

2. Food, puppy treats (helps with training), toys, bowls, bed, blanket, pee pads.
I never used a crate, I kept Rocky in the kitchen when I wasn't in with his Ugodog potty system, its is FAB seriously cannot rave about it enough!! I got mine online from pet planet and it came within a few days.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the tips. He's 10 weeks, and he's had the right vaccs so far, and he's been wormed. He's a 5 gen pedigree and they have the daddy there for me to see also, so I think it will be fine. I am so unbelievably excited. He will be my first pup.

I will order the Ugodog ASAP - did you start training him to use it from the very first day?

Also, can I ask where did you keep him at night if he didn't have a cage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Awww all sounds good. Yeah the breeder recommended the Ugodog and ordered it when we got home, used potty pads while we were waiting for it. The grates for it comes in 2 pieces and I lined it with a potty pad an for the first day or so only used one grate on it so he knew thats where he was meant to go (cause he had been used to the pad to begin with). And he took to the Ugodog so well, I love it lots, heres a recent thread about the Ugodog.

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-questions/60148-ugodog-pee-pads-all-things-potty.html

During the night, the first few nights he was in a bed on the floor next to our bed and then after than we gated him in the kitchen until we were sure about potty training. Now he is in our bed lol :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yay! That's fantastic news. Hopefully my new little guy will take to it as well as yours did. Thanks for the link...I had better go order one. Sounds like the easiest (and cleanest) way to get him to go.

And yep, I will definitely post LOTS of pics. :D :D

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
One thing that came in so handy with my puppies was this:

I can't say too many good things about it. It is big enough for bed, potty, food, water and toys. When you have to go out or at night, pop him in there and you have no worries. My puppies slept in it until I was sure they could hold it through the night, then slept in bed with me with all the rest. You can get it on Amazon for a very reasonable price. And in the mean time, you will need a small carrier for taking him to the vets until he's old enough to sit in a doggy car seat, so go buy one and he can sleep in there until the play area arrives.

http://www.amazon.com/Iris-CI-604-Indoor-Outdoor-Plastic/dp/B000FS6INU/ref=sr_1_49?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1301247283&sr=1-49

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh that's so cute! Love the pyramid bed too. :)

Do you have a link to purchase it? Is it on the UK Amazon? I just had a look but couldn't see it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i just wanted to say im enjoying your excitement about your new baby comeing to his forever home good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts