Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have today paid a deposit for a 3rd chi. But now worried that I have done the wrong thing. He is the smallest in the litter, half the size of the biggest. But he was playing happily with the others and didn't seem submissive at all. Looked healthy enough. He is 5 wks old tomorrow and about the size of my hand. Have I made a mistake? I know smaller chis sometimes have health problems. Has anyone else had the smallest in the litter?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi, I have today paid a deposit for a 3rd chi. But now worried that I have done the wrong thing. He is the smallest in the litter, half the size of the biggest. But he was playing happily with the others and didn't seem submissive at all. Looked healthy enough. He is 5 wks old tomorrow and about the size of my hand. Have I made a mistake? I know smaller chis sometimes have health problems. Has anyone else had the smallest in the litter?
congrats on getting another one btw and is the breeder a reputable breeder? if so i wouldnt worry to much as long as he/she is healthy im sure everything wil be fine

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Getting a runt won't really have any bearing on whether he is healthy, provided he came from a good breeder. Being a runt can be because of many things. Chances are if he's healthy he'll catch up to his siblings in no time. If he is playing and meeting his milestones properly, I would say he'll be just fine. He may very well end up the biggest in his litter. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, yeah they seem reputable. Were really nice, seemed responsible, said will not let him leave his mum until definitely ready. He is beautiful and I didn't feel the same about the rest of the litter. Now panicking!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I didn't get to see Willow's litter when I got her as she was the last one left, but I was sent a picture from the breeder. Here is Willow with her normal sized brother. Willow was 1 lb 7 oz at 14 weeks and now at 3 yrs old weighs 2 lbs 11 oz. (give or take an ounce)

Willow then:

Willow now:

Willow's not had any health problems. <knock on wood>

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't get to see Willow's litter when I got her as she was the last one left, but I was sent a picture from the breeder. Here is Willow with her normal sized brother. Willow was 1 lb 7 oz at 14 weeks and now at 3 yrs old weighs 2 lbs 11 oz. (give or take an ounce)

Was the first pic of willow when she was 14 weeks? Has she had any problems? She is gorgeous

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I am not exactly sure when that photo was taken. But here is one I took of her at 14 weeks. And no, we've been lucky, she's not had any health problems.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi, yeah they seem reputable. Were really nice, seemed responsible, said will not let him leave his mum until definitely ready. He is beautiful and I didn't feel the same about the rest of the litter. Now panicking!
i wouldnt worry then is this there 1st litter? dont panic im sure everything will be fine if you get any pictures post :)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I would not worry, birth weight and the first few weeks has little to nothing to do with final weights aside from some really exceptional situations.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Super cute pup! :)
From those pictures, he looks very normal and healthy, all in proportion and what-not. ;) If it were me and I was worried, I would simply ask the breeder for updates on his growth every few days, possibly even talk about what the conditions would be should anything happen to this puppy while he's growing with mama (really, a good thing to know even if you're buying any puppy!).
Also, having two chis of your own I'm sure you know, but it's always good to brush up on the care of our tiny babies when we get new pups. "What to do in case of...." kind of things. :)

Good luck with him. He really is adorable. Love his socks and little blaze on his forehead!! Have you started thinking about possible names?

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I dont think he is super tiny really.
I went to see Darla for the first time at 3 weeks then at 6 and she seemed the same.
Didnt get her then obviously. lol
I agree though, a good breeder will usually say if anything goes wrong while they still have them you can back out or they will offer another pup.
That was what mine said.
Even after you have them home actually.

He is gorgeous though!!
Try not to worry. x

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, I had an update from the breeder today. He is 8 wks old on Saturday and still half the size of his siblings. Says the vet has seen him today and happy, says seems healthy. Eating and playing the same as the others. Should I be worried?
We are hoping to have him when he is 9 weeks old, so he has another week with his mum yet.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I'm getting the smallest of the litter she is 8 weeks on sunday(same age as yours -1 day ) and she weighs 11ounces,do you know his weight ?She isn't having her injections as she's too small so will wait till she's at least over 3 months and i'm leaving her with her mum till she's 10 weeks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, I am not sure what he weighs, I will ask the breeder tomorrow. I asked if he should stay longer than 9 wks and they said they will keep him longer if I want but that he is eating ok so they wouldn't be doing anything different than I would. How much smaller is yours from the rest of the litter?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I don't think it's size in relation to the rest of the litter so much as actual size that can sometimes mean more challenges down the line. That is, if you have a litter of pups that all end up at six lbs as adults except for one pup who only ultimately weighs 3.5 lbs, both weights are good, healthy weights for chis and within the ideal range. It's dogs that weigh in under 3 lbs as adults that can sometimes have more health issues, and even that isn't always the case. T's pup, Jade, is something like 2lbs 2 oz and is perfectly healthy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts