Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just got my new chi baby few days ago, she is very tiny and 6 weeks old. She hasn't been to a vet yet. I am taking her to my new vet Friday.
I am very scared. I have no confidence in vets any more.
about 10 years ago I took my toy fox terrier (very small) to have his teeth clean and when I went to pick him up they gave him to me dead. They told me he was sleeping and since they didn't have 24 hour care for me to take him to an hospital just for observation, they said his heart stop during procedure but he will be fine. I got him there they said he is brain dead.
Then I took both my Pomeranian's in and got shots they both were so sick and older one started have seizes all the time, she got so bad she had to be put down, and my other one lost all her fur around area and had big bump for long time. she was never the same. she was just put down for collapsed trac really bad. No cause from vet this time.
After years of treatment she just suffered too much and vet just wanted to keep getting money from me. try this try that this test that test. But that same vet took x-rays and never said anything to me about her having fluid around her heart, I took the x-rays that was done 6 months before to my new vet she looked at them and said right away she had the fluid and that was around her heart and treated her and she got better. I don't understand how the other vet didn't see it.

Then I took my two year old Siemens cat in to be fixed, next day she was dead. they did something wrong never found out what..
I took my little bird in to a diffident vet because she had a bump on bottom, he said he new about birds he didn't. he put needles in the bump she died few hours later.

Now I have to take my baby to new vet and so scared. I am afraid of the shots. Plus I am running out of vets.
I cant take another baby sick or dead. I love them too much.
Any hints or ideas to make this visit better.
I love all my baby's and kill me when vet hurts them when there was no reason for it. :confused:

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
That puppy was too young to leave her mom.. She should have stayed until atleast 8 weeks. Is there a reason you got her so early?(did the mom abandon them, get sick, etc?). Even though you aren't trusting of vets ( and you have good reason not to!) you should take her in. Make sure to read about hypoglycemia.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I know she is too young to leave mother, the lady took puppy's mother away from puppies two nights before and If I hadn't taken her someone else would have.She wanted then gone. She had lots of calls. Even when I was there. she posted on Craig's list. She had no clue on what she was doing. She feed them hard kibble . I told her she needed to keep them with mother and they need vet check and 1st shots she didn't want to do that. She was getting ready to take her mommy to get spayed and it was too late. While mommy was pg she took male to get nurtured. So that good thing. I am worried about her brothers she has two of them.
I know I have to take her to vet, that's why I am taking her Friday, I am just scared. I know there are lower does of shots of small breeds. That was what I was looking for to make sure vet did correct does. I forgot to put this in post. I was wandering if anyone knew the proper doses for small breeds. Thanks I do know about hypoglycemia. She is doing really good for only being 6 weeks.
I interview my new vet and feel good about her. Just want to make sure does are correct.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
As I understand it, the dosages for chi's are the same for great danes!! Some vets will do 1/2 doseage, but others give the full amount. Also ask your new vet about giving the vaccines singly instead of the usual 5/1 dose.

Good luck with the vet interview! Sue Davis

·
Registered
244 Posts
oh god i am so sorry about all your pets. same thing happened with my little shara, she had some internal things wrong with her, and the vet i took her to told me she probably just hurt her back and to come back in a few days, when i brought her to a differnt vet, right away they were able to tell me the right thing, but it was to late and she died that night. some vets just dont care and they take advantage because they know ppl love there pets like kids.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi my goodness i dont blame you for fearing a vet hopefully youll see a vet that really loves animals and gives you the best advice on her shots and upbringing keep us posted thanks

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called my new vet and talked to her about the dose of what she will be giving my puppy. I asked her does she give same dose for 1 lb puppy as 100 lb puppy, she said yes. She said she doesn't give the litpo in 1st shot. She said she has been given shots for 8 years she never had problems with shots. I am worried now I have used all the vets in a 50 miles radius. what do I tell her. I did reschedule till she is 8 weeks instead of 6 weeks. Is there a site that has information to show her on small breeds?
I told her how much problems with others vets and she said bring her in a we will talk about it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Maybe it would set your mind at ease a little if you scheduled a time to just go in and chat with her. No animals brought with you. No exam. Just a talk about your fears. Do be ready to pay a little for this as it will be taking up her time but it might make you feel better.

As for vaccinations, you can go to AVMAs website and look at their vaccine protocols since that is what most vets go by. Then you can be good and informed when you go in to talk to her.

Since your girl has had no vaccines at all she needs to stay in your house and yard provided it's fenced in and no strange dogs have access to it. If you interact with any outside dogs you need to wash your hands thoroughly and I'd even go so far as to change my clothes after you get home from your vet meeting. You don't want to risk bringing in any nasty viruses.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I am also very worried about watching her weight. She needs to be weighed and at her young age, even daily. Can you get a baby scale or is there any way you can get her weighed? Have you considered the K9 Gold puppy formula to supplement or frankly feed her until she is old enough to really eat?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have her on puppy formula. I have a scale I just cant find it. We have gutted our kitchen and everything in boxes. Husband said he will look for it tonight. I tried to but can get in some boxes I have two frozen shoulders and tough doing some things. she eats real good.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
All of my chihuahuas got the full vacine strength. I have had some reactions--mostly just terrible lethargy, and not eating, and of course some soreness. The only one I had to return to the vet for under the skin fluids, was Zarita. This last time she did OK with a baby benedryl pill 1/2 hr before. Talk with the vet, and just have faith! I wish we knew whether or not the mama had ever been vacinated. If she was the puppy will still have some of her antibodies. I'm glad you waited 'til 8 weeks for the 1st shot. Sue Davis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts