Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 3.5 pound chi, and I'm getting my second one in a few weeks.

The puppy is almost 12 weeks and is already 2 pounds 12 ounces. The breeder said he will be 5.5-6 pounds full-grown. His parents are 4 and 5 pounds, and the breeder said one of his grandparents was 5.5 pounds, so she thinks the puppy will hit that range.

My friend's chi was supposed to be 6 pounds and ended up being 12 pounds full-grown. I'm wondering if this will happen to my chi? They come from different breeders, and the one I'm getting the new puppy from is MUCH more reputable than where my friend got her pup.

Is it possible the puppy had a growth spurt early on and will slow down for a bit before the next spurt? Does 5.5-6 pounds sound like an accurate estimate? I'm worried the puppy will end up in a similar situation as my friend - 12 pounds! That's a big chi!

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, it could go either way? I'm going to love the puppy regardless (so excited to have it)!!!!

If a breeder has the line of grandparents/great-grandparents and so on, does that mean the predicted weight is more accurate? I'm really not sure how lineage predictions work.

Thanks so much! :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
It's a hit or miss on those charts. You'd have better luck at rolling dice. It's really just a waiting game. 12 lbs is still a small dog. But if size and weight is a concern, about the only fool proof way is to get an adult dog. Best wishes. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

We will be happy with whatever weight the puppy ends up at, as long as it's a healthy, happy dog. I was just looking for input from other chihuahua owners/breeders on how reliable the charts and lineage are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts