Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: Hi, I just got a puppy 3 days ago. He's 10 weeks old and his name is Baxter. The first two days, he went outside nicely and usually acted accordingly. Today he is fighting going out like he hates it. He cries and pushes toward the door and therefore coming in and going in the house. Whats with the turn-around??? Also he cries and howls all night. Last night I didnt let him out of his crate but had to sleep on the couch with my hand in there all night. There is no way that you can just let him cry, it's too loud. Anyone have any suggestions? I feel like if I dont nip this now, I'll never be able to. Thanks...B

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Put Baxter's crate next to your bed so that you can reach your hand down to comfort him until he gets used to being away from his mom and siblings. That way you can be more comfortable. You could even use a box without a top that is deep enough that Baxter can't jump out of and that would make it even easier to keep your hand near him while you are in bed.

Did anything frighten him while he was outside? Any loud noise such as motorcycles, lawn mowers, a plane flying over, etc.? Try carrying Baxter in and out if he balks at the door. I've always carried Tucker up and down the steps when we go in and out of the house. Baxter may just be frightened at the newness of everything, even if at first he seemed okay with it.

Be patient with your little boy. This puppy stage is temporary and will soon be behind you. Lots of TLC, patience and understanding is what your wee furbaby needs from you during this adjustment period. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Baxter

Hi there, :wave:
I went through the same thing with my Pixy. She really hated to be in her crate and hated to be alone. She cried every night for like two months. I would often get up and take her out to comfort her but it only made her do it more. I lived in an apartment at the time so I was taking a chance of getting kicked out if management found out or got too many complaints. I had to ignore her in order for her to know that crying loudly wont get her out. She eventually stopped and loved going into her crate. Now, she goes in it by herself. It took sooooo much patients on my part but it was well worth it. For the first two months of having her (got her at 8 weeks old) I didn't sleep much. It was like having a baby. I have always kept Pixy's crate in my room so she knew that I was right there. If you can do that, then it would make your baby feel better. This stage will be the hardest but I promise it will be over before you know it. As far as the potty training, it took mw about 2 month of daily training Pixy. Several times a day I would show her where to go and when ever she made a mistake I would say NO firmly (not yelling). She finally got the hang of it. You will need to do lots of training every day for a while. Good luck :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts