Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I'm new and I just got a 11 week old chihuahua. I have loads of questions. I'll start with, I'm feeding him Eukanuba but I'm not sure on how much to feed him. Another question I have is he came to us with a bald spot on his head and now he has it on other parts of his body. Do these puppies have problems with hair loss. Introducing "SHAKES".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much do you feed your Chi? Any pictures? Here's another picture his is big brother Koda (GSD) and my son.[/img]

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :)

You can either feed him 3 meals a day, or let him free-feed, whichever works best for you and him.

The hair loss would be something you need to have your vet look it. There are many things it could be: flea allergy, red mange, ring worm. Just to be sure, have it checked ASAP.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i agree, get your baby checked out for the hair loss, mange is something you want to get treated asap if it is that plus it's contagious.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Shakes is definately a cute dog! In regards to hair loss in puppies the most common things have already been covered from other posts (mange, flea allergy, etc...). Is there any flaky/scaly skin or redness/itchiness accompanying the hair loss? If your dog is not itchy, other things a veterinarian may consider are nutritional deficiency/melatonin deficiency or early signs of hormonal disorders like hypothyroidism or Cushing's especially if it is seen bilaterally.

Some dogs (Ritz and Tiny included) just "have hair loss". We call it idiopathic alopecia, since we have no idea why it occurs, but it doesn't bother them, and they are perfectly healthy. Hopefully it's something simple, and keeping your dog healthy will clear it up, but it never hurts to have a veterinarian give you his/her professional and diagnostic opinion.

Good luck, and again, very cute dog!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry about the questions. I just say the previous page with all the useful information. Thanks for all the great advice. Shakes is going to the vet wed. I think it might be fleas but I don't see any. I'm going to Petsmart today to get some puppy flea shampoo in the mean time. Yes, he has redness and is itchy. I hope the shampoo works.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Hi and welcome what a cutie - everyon e has answered your questions so I just want too say please be careful of your little pup with your GSD as even playing attended can lead to a fatal injury :cry:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts