Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so i just got a new puppy, she is a chihuahua, she is 11 months old. Her name is Mallie. She was a little shy at first, but is warming up wonderfully. I'm starting to kinda freak out a bit tho, cuz, when her previous owners gave her to me, they said she just came out of heat, and was around another unfixed chihuahua male, but that they didnt think they "mingled". I am starting to become pretty sure that they did, in fact, "mingle"... And i am being told a bunch of different things right now, so am looking to other chi owners for advice. She is only 11, and i was told that the chances of her and all of her pups dying are pretty high. I dont want Mallie or her pups to die, but i would much rather have her pups be-for lack of a less disgusting word-aborted. She cant be too far along if she is. I have an appointment to have her spayed on Tuesday(kinda irritated that the previous owners didn't do that in the first place). So i have a few questions... Is it ok to have her fixed while pregnant as long as its early on? like-i'm not a horrible person for it? There aren't going to be pro-choice chihuahua dogs protesting outside the vet office when i take her in? Lol, that was obviously a joke, but u see what i mean... Also, i am a little concerned about the spay procedure, i am taking her to our humane society vet, as they are about a hundred dollars less then anywhere else, and i can get her licensed for free that way... But it sounds like they want me to drop her off at 8 am and pick her up the same day at 5 pm... that makes me a little nervous... Thanks for listening, sorry it was a novel!! :daisy::daisy:

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
It doesn't seem strange that they want you to pick her up the same day, our local spay neuter clinic does the same thing. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Personally, I think you're doing absolutely the right thing by your little girl. It's the responsible thing to do for her health and to avoid bringing unwanted puppies into the world. Kudos to you for that and I hope you both have a wonderful rest of your lives together. Post a photo of her eh? :)
:daisy:

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Hello & Welcome!

Can't wait to see pictures!

Every Chi mummy/daddy gets worried about the procedure, but im sure your vet has performed it before so try and stay calm about it. Its the best for your girl!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I would do exactly what you are doing. The vets should be told though. Spaying a dog that is early in pregnancy shouldn't be a problem. The uterus would just be a little bit bigger than usual. Cudo's to you! Sue

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome to CP. Please keep us posted on your little one

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, Here is a pic of Mallie, i will try to get a better one soon!! Sorry, i'm new to this, so trying to post the pic but not sure how, so hopefully this works

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would do the "abortion" thing also. You are doing the right thing. When vets do the spaying, they take out the entire uterus and both tubes/ovaries -- a complete hysterectomy. BUT -- YOU MUST TELL THE VET THAT SHE MAY BE PREGNANT BEFORE THE PROCEDURE [/COLOR]because her uterus will be engorged and swollen and the blood supply/veins/arteries will also be engorged because of the pregnant state. So, doing an abortion if she is pregnant will be accomplished by a complete removal Your making a good decision -- if this is an unwanted pregnancy and you have no idea of the dog she may have mated with, if she had the puppies it may be harder to find homes for them and we all know there are too many pooches waiting for good homes now -- we don't need another litter of them. Your a top notch dog lover -- stay that way!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts