Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I am a new Chi owner, we just got our 10 week old Chi 3 days ago! She is adorable, her name is Poppy....I am a little nervous about making sure I do everything right for her as she os SOO tiny....any tips?
Thanks!
:wave:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy! I hope you did some research ahead of time on the health concerns and what not, but here is a couple links I found off another thread in here.

But anyways one of the main concerns in chihuahua's is low blood sugar, called Hypoglycaemia, which is comain in chihuahua's because of their size. But you can easily prevent this by making sure he/she is eating enough daily, also drinking. Although it can happen unexspectedly, even if she/he is eating fine. So i'd suggest researching that if you havent already. Because you need to know all the symptoms of it (I think its in one of the links below) so you can take him/her to the vet right away. Also, its good to have honey or corn surup on hand incase she/he isnt eating enough that paticular day, just give him/her a dab on ur fingure once a day. I got Nutri-cal from the vets, some people just use honey or corn surup -- but Nutri-cal is the best.

All your other questions should be answerd here: :wave:

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/tpuppy.html
http://www.chidolls.com/puppycare.html

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Just wanted to say that my chi doesn't have this problem at all, although he does not eat regularly- seems like not all of them have it:) Important thing that I have to learn- always watch where you step and be very careful with shutting doors- we had a few accidents here;) You can even buy a little bell- it does not disturb then and you always know where your chi is and what she is doing! Oh, and you absolutely would need a coat for her for colder times- chihuahuas are very sensitive to colds and wind. Good luck!

Richie's mom

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new puppy! I would recommend getting a bell to hang from a collar or harness so you are less likely to step on her. They love to run around under your feet! LOL

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Hi and welcome

so glad you found us - if you have any specific questions that would be easier for us than just giving you tips as we could be here all day - lol :lol:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Hi and Welcome :hello2:

Glad you found us.
Did you post a pic of your baby?
And tell us a little about her!

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Hello and welcome! :wave: I seen Poppy in the Pictures section, she is just gorgeous! :wink: I would also recommend the bell on the collar. Both of my boys have one and you always know where they are.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big Thank U!

Hi everyone, I am so glad I found this place...just want to say a huge thank you to all the wonderful people who have made Poppy and I so welcome....here's to lots of great Chi fun together!!
:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts