Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Meet Güera (pronouced wedda), she is a big long hair chi. She is also 7 weeks pregnant. Güera means white girl in Spanish. Her owner lost his job and house and could no longer take care of her. She was born without a tail, so I am thinking maybe a mix. I have never had a pregnant dog before, so I will hopefully be able to get help here. She weighs 12 pounds so hopefully she will be able to welp without problems. The dad was a 4.5 pound white chihuahua. This is her second litter, the last one went smoothly and he said half the pups were born without tails.

She's a cream color with splotches of orange.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Aww shes a sweetie. How kind of you to take her in in her delicate condition! Do you know how many pups shes expecting? Is she maybe a chi corgi cross? Shes really a lovely girl.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, she is so sweet. I was thinking corgi x too. She doesn't have the really short legs of a corgi, but she is built sturdy like one.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh man you are like super dog lady

I think she's a mix!! Wish he didn't breed her stupid man!

You'll need a whelping box and to be feeding her a high quality puppy food now!! Also work out away to keep your other dogs away from the puppies as dams with newborns will be v aggressive to any animal near their baby if I was you I'd try bond with her on a major scale so you can help her as if for any reason you need to help she may wanna take your hand off

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
she is a cutie :) poor girl .
i had a friend yrs ago who had a dog just like her but a red colour , she was a chihuahua x mini foxie .

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
How wonderful of you to take her in. She is a beauty and so lucky to have you by her side. I am sure she will bond with you beautifully :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I was also going to say she really looks like a Pembroke Welsh Corgi x Chi mix with her shape & no tail. What a sweet heart she is. I'm glad she didn't have any issues last whelping & hopefully she won't this time.

Definitely whip up a whelping box & feed a puppy food if you aren't already. She'll need the extra calories. I would also get an xray scheduled for a week from now so you know how many pups to expect & to make sure they aren't too big to fit through the birth canal. Look up the basics of a whelping kit as well as watching some vidoes of Chi births on youtube. It will give you an idea on what you should expect & can do to help.

Good luck to you--I hope it all goes well! :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Aww shes a sweetie. How kind of you to take her in in her delicate condition! Do you know how many pups shes expecting? Is she maybe a chi corgi cross? Shes really a lovely girl.
I agree...she sure does look like there is some Corgi in her:) She is a pretty little girl...
Very good of you to care for her and her expecting babies. Bless both of you:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't have any experience with births but wanted to say thank you for your part in the rescue mission!! We just got Coco two weeks ago today and she is the wonderful dog that she is because of the time and love put in by her foster family!!

Good luck ... she's a sweetie!!

Kat

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
She is really cute.I think she might be a corgi mix to either way she is a cutie.Keep us updated on her.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the advice. I have had litters of kittens before, just not dogs. Does the mama dog try to hide when her time comes like a cat? I am trying to figure out where to put the whelping box so the rest of the dogs won't bother her. Maybe in my bathroom. I was thinking in my bedroom, but the dogs sleep in there with me at night. The bathroom does have a tile floor incase of accidents. And I can be sure she isn't disturbed at all.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
ya they do try and hide if you have a box though she will have them in there you should have her sleep in it close to the due date, when the contractions start sometimes they can run around so confining her to the bathroom will be a good idea that way you can make sure she has them in the box and not in a closet or under the bed :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts