Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Do you have a friend locally who is experienced with breeding dogs? How about the breeder of your bitch, or the owner of the stud dog? While we are happy to offer advice, you really need an experienced person present at the whelping. They are not an easy breed to whelp, having someone with you will be invaluable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its really just some basic inquiries. i own BOTH dogs (the bitch and the stud). the breeder from whom i got Roxy is out of town. but my questions are, is the bitch ssupposed to eat the placenta(s)? and if so, is it "safe" for her to eat ALL of them? i read a few articles that say that is a HUGE no-no and some that say it is good for the bitch to do so for the nutrients and such. if a pup gets "stuck" should i help get him/her out? how long should she push (noramly) per pup? how long is to long? is it unsafe or dangerous for the pup to be delivered breech? how long can a pup survive in the sack AFTER birth? if mom doesnt break the sack should i? my mother will be here to help. she has helped our cat deliver 4 litters of kittens and i cant imagine its THAT much different. thanks!! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i own both dogs and the breeder from whom i got Roxy is unvailable. my questions are: how much should i "help"? i.e. if a pup gets stuck should i assist? if mom doesnt break the scak, should i? how long AFTER a pup is delivered, can it survive in the sacK? should mom eat all, some, or none of the placentas? (i read some articles that say none, some that say some, and some that say all) thanks!! :)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Mum should be allowed/encouraged to eat at least some of the placentas. If she eats them all (especially with a big litter) she can get diarrhea. It is vital that she eats at least one though.
Breech birth is considered normal for dogs, expect at least some of the litter to be born this way. Generally it doesn't cause problems, but a puppy who is stuck in the breech position is in more danger than a stuck puppy facing the right way.
How long should she be allowed to push before you help is a question that is impossible to answer. This is why you need an experienced breeder on hand, as each bitch and each whelping is different. The harsest thing for an inexperienced breeder to recognise is when the bitch needs help. If a pup isn't progressing or is slipping back in, gripping it with a cloth is sometimes enough to allow mum to push it out. Have lubrication to hand, preferably in ready loaded 1ml syringes. You have a lot less time before it becomes an emergency with a Chihuahua rather than a bigger breed.
If mum doesn't remove the sack straight away, I would do it for her. Make sure the nose and mouth are clear and the pup is breathing, she can clean it off the body later..
Chihuahuas are notoriously difficult whelpers. The chances are you will have to help in some way, and the chances of needing a C section are also high with this breed. Was your bitch from a self-whelped litter/line? How big is she and how many pups is she having?
Although the basics of cat and dog births are the same, cats are far less likely to need human involvement than dogs, and Chihuahuas are much more likely to need human involvement than most breeds of dog. Have you read 'The book of the bitch'? it is a good basic guide to breeding and whelping, although a little dated now.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Delighted to hear that the breeder is available to help - I have never bred but from everything I have read on here, having someone experienced in whelping chis is essential!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts