Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently ordered samples from THK and started Yaz and my foster Sweetpea on Keen and Force. They both seem to love it! Yaz has developed a particularly bad habit of yipping/squeaking at me while it's rehydrating lol.

I've been adding about a tablespoon to their regular food, but I'm clueless as to how much I should be feeding once I switch them over completely. Yaz is 5 lbs and very prone to weight gain. Sweets is 6.5 lbs.

It says up to 10 lbs should be fed 1/2 cup for less active dogs. Should I halve that amount??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and Sweetpea is pretty much toothless so he can't have anything hard obviously. Since I only mix a few tablespoons at a time, I haven't made a big enough batch to be completely familiar with its consistency. For the most part it seems pretty soft enough for him, but are there any hard chunks I should be aware of?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Omg the yipping/squeaking is the worst. I imagine they can smell it from rooms away as that starts mine on it!!!

No, there really aren't any hard chunks, sometimes bigger chunks of stuff than others, but mostly it will be stuffing-like in consistency.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
There are some chunks in some formulas more than others but the chunks are generally pretty soft after rehydration.

I wouldn't feed 1/2 cup of HK to a chihuahua. My chi girls are 6 lbs and 6.5 lbs and each receives 1/4 cup of HK per day with 1-2 tbsp of extras such as meat or canned food mixed in. During the warmer months I feed 1/6 cup per day with 1-2 tbsp of add ins to my chi girls, however with the colder weather they burn more calories than normal so I have to up their portions to account for that.

I would suggest starting at 1/4 cup of HK per day, keep an eye on their body condition and weight, and adjust portions as needed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you flippedstars and huskyluv!! :)

I hope I can stick with HK, they are both such finnicky eaters... love something one day, hate it the next.

Lol flippedstars, Yaz has never been so vocal about anything except for her Zuke's treats. If I make her hush and chase her off, she'll just sit in another room and wail from there. Hahaha.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, indeed. She used to put up a good fight though and not eat all day and end up vomiting yellow foam. I used to feel so horrible and give in, but I've learned to put my foot down. Chi's are stubborn little things.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I recently switched and I feed 1/8c morning and night with equal parts water. I also give a spoon of ground turkey here and there as needed.

edit amounts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts