Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to owning a chi puppy. I had an adult chi a hwile back that was aggressive towards people he didn't know. I couldn't keep him, because my dad couldn't even pet the dog, and my dad loves dogs and my mom won't let him have one! So, I decided to get a baby. I met both her parents, and both are sweet as can be, let me, a total stranger pet and play with them. That's why I chose Penny. So far she seems to love everybody she meets, but she's only 11 wks old.
What is a good way to socialize her so she stays sweet and loving others? My half chi (a chug, chi/pug) loves life and everybody in it. I"m hoping she will be the same way. But as I hardly have any visitors at my house, any ideas on how to socialize her and get her used to other people?
Any ideas on this would be great.
Thanks! :lol:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would take her places with you and let people pet her and just introduce her to all different types of people! :wave:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
When I was socializing Lina I took her to PetsMart and Petco and just kinda let her walk around on a leash and she did great. She doesn't like other dogs too much, but she's OK with them :). Plus, PetsMart and Petco are animal friendly places. You won't get thrown out for bringing them with you lol.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
welcome :wave:

you will have to do an effort and invite people over and take her everywhere with you ....i hope all works out :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I would check your local phone book for dog obedience schools or daycares, even if you don't want her in obedience school yet, they usually will have a puppy socialization class once or twice a week where they wil seperate big breeds from small breeds and them just let them play. it is a good way to keep them socialized and used to new people and dogs,

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I agree with everything said ... take the pup everywhere with you and let lots of different people hold and talk to her.

It's important to take her to new places - of course, everywhere is new to an 11 week old pup - but you want her to get used to feeling safe in a new environment.

The important thing is that you continue to take her places as she grows, as well. It's fun for the both of you and it reinforces her socialization all at the same time. :D

We need pictures of the little thing, too. We like to ooh and aah over them. :D

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I agree with what has been posted, but just want to add a word of caution. Be careful where you take her until after she has had all her vaccinations. Young puppies are especially susceptible to all the canine diseases out there. It's O.K. to take her with you before her shots, just don't let her walk around on the floor or ground where other animals have been. And strange as it might seem, your vet's office floors are a big no-no also until she has all her shots.

Enjoy your new puppy - she looks adoreable. You can find tons of good info on this forum by reading through some of the old threads.

Welcome ..... :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Thank you for posting a picture ... now we need many more.

She's adorable ... I hope you have tons o' fun getting your girl socialized!

·
Registered
402 Posts
How come your vet never warns you about their floor? My vet weighs all the puppys on a scale that they step on.... Im concerned now!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
NaliaLee said:
How come your vet never warns you about their floor? My vet weighs all the puppys on a scale that they step on.... Im concerned now!
My vet weighed Cooper in a little tiny scale that only read ounces until he was about 6 lbs... then they started putting him on the scale. But in their office, the table they examine the pups on IS the scale so they just wipe it down after every dog.

My vet also told me to not put Cooper on the floor in the office when he was a pup, although they DID say if a dog is there, it's vaccinated so there aren't that many worries other than kennel cough, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts