Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am a new chihuahua owner. Ella joined our family about 3 weeks ago at 8 weeks of age. She is a cute brindle short hair. We also have a standard poodle, black male Trae. They get along great but are never left alone together, the 80 pound size difference is too much for me to trust. I have worked with and volunteered with animals for over 20 years. I started by working in pet shops, owned my owne grooming/boarding kennel, bred and showed German Shepherds and my children did pugs for a short time. Ella is my first ever Chihuahua. I must say, this was one of three breeds I said I would never own. A friend of mine breeds them and called me one day to tell my about this special little girl she had. I told her I would come look at her. My oldest daughter had just moved out of state and we had to put our aussie down due to age and health a year ago. One look at Ella and she filled that empty heart. I vowed I would be a good dog owner, crate train and not let her sleep in bed with anyone until she was house broken. We broke that rule day one. She sleeps in bed with us but is in her crate if no one is home. House breaking is posing some trouble. It is so cold outside she doesnt want to be out there. Taking her out several times helps but she still has more BMs in the house then out and it will happen so fast. Ella will dart down the hallway or around the corner and by the time you follow her it is too late. Our poodle, Trae, we got him at 5 weeks and he only had one accident in the home. Ella is different. We make sure she has a jacket on when she goes out.
We almost lost Ella and I want to share because this is information I did not know, even with completing schooling for Vet Medical Assistant!
I took Ella to the vet for her second puppy shot (the breeder had givin her first). We had an evening appointment. All seemed fine. My daughter and I were up late that evening. I figured since we were still up I would let Ella out at 10 30 pm and maybe she would sleep past 1am (her normal gotta go potty time). I took her out and she started rolling all in the snow. I scooped her up and brought her in. I knew something wasnt right. My daughter and I were horrifyed as we watched bumps appear on Ellas head and her face start to swell. My vet office was closed so I called the ER vet and told them I was on my way with a pup having an allergic reaction to puppy shots. The drive was over 30 minutes and by the time we got there Ellas eyes were swollen shut and she was having trouble breathing. They grabbed her from our arms when we got there and started working on her. We are so glad we were up late that night or we would have woken to a dead puppy. The vet said another 15-20 minutes and she would not have been able to breathe. It turns out, she was allergic to the puppy shot, the Lepto part of it. I called my friend, the breeder and she about threw a fit. She was sorry she didnt tell me but thought the vet should have known. A lot of chihuahuas are allergic to the Lepto portion of the shot. The chances of Ella getting Lepto are so much less then her dieing from the shot for it. This was information I did not know. So, no more lepto shot for Ella and just to be safe, she will have benadryl before any shots. I am happy to say she is back to her active self tormenting her big brother.
I am looking forward to sharing photos and information.
Ellas Mom

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Welcome :) cant wait to see some pics
alot of chi's seem to have reactions to their vaccinations , my girl also did but not as bad as your little Ella , glad she is back to her normal self :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
welcome and again cant wait to see pics x
Glad she is ok after her reaction, as you said lucky you were up late.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi and welcome i also have my buster 5 months chih and louie 5 year poodle hope you enjoy this forum as i have

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Welcome to you and your furbabies. I am so glad to know you were able to reach the ER vet with little Ella in time to save her.. One of our chi babies, Neko, also reacted violently to a puppy shot.. but fortunately it happened very quickly while we were still in the vet's office. They sent us home and treated him immediately.. thank goodness. When we picked him up several hours later, he had recovered.. These little chis are often so delicate and respond quite differently than other breeds. Would love to see pics of your guys.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Lepto is one of the vaccinations that produces the most reactions. I'm rather surprised your vet didn't know that.

You might want to look into vaccinosis and not vaccinate further. Studies are showing 7 year immunity and longer. A puppy series is perfectly adequate and once a reaction has happened, it is VERY likely for the next shot to produce an even worse reaction or even death (even pre-treated with benadryl or steroids).

I would urge you to educate yourself on this very important (and controversial) issue!

Duration of Immunity

Science of Vaccine Damage

Are We Over Vaccinating Our Pets? by Loretta Baughan

Are our pets being over-vaccinated?

Schultz: Dog vaccines may not be necessary (March 14, 2003)

Shots in the dark

PET VACCINATION  An Institutionalised Crime by Catherine O'Driscoll

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunatly, where I live requires that we keep our dogs up to date on distemper and rabies. We have to submit proof. But I do have lots of questions for my vet. I am rather ticked. I have been seeing the same vet for years and I adore her. This visit I saw a different vet in the practice. I am thankfull Ella is doing good.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Welcome to the board! :)

I always do a 5 way vaccine not the 7 way with the Lepto. If you have to have the distemper then they should be able to shave the vaccine back to just distemper. Rabies is a law here but after the puppy rabies shot you should be able to get it every 3 yrs. I do a titer on mine every 3 yrs. Also with a chihuahua puppy you need to watch out for Hypoglycemia. This can occur from them just running and playing to hard and or being so tiny, etc.. Keeping a bit of honey, syrup, or nutri-cal on hand for emergencies is a good idea.

As for the accidents in the house. You are giving her to much free roaming space. You need to either limit her to one room that you can supervise her in or tether her to you. I would also get her potty trained before allowing her to sleep with you. The crates are great for potty training.

It sounds like you are on the right track:) I look forward to seeing pictures :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Wow! I've never heard of a state or local law that requires distemper! I know they can mandate rabies, but the information I've read said that rabies is the ONLY vaccination that is required by law. Are you positive about that?

You might ask your vet the last time he saw distemper and then make an informed decision. Vaccination protocols are changing. Vets should be keeping up with the newest studies and informing their clients accordingly.

Congrats on your new baby. Can't wait for pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts