Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am the glad new owner of a lovely little chi-mix that we have named Bella. She is mostly chi, although I have no idea what else she might be.

Bella was a starving, emaciated, HUGELY pregnant stray that had been hanging around the barn where my horses are stabled. I fell for her the first time I saw her with her kind, soulful eyes. The barn owner informed me that if she had puppies at her place, she was loading them all up and taking them to the pound. I had an inkling then that she was going to be *my* dog before I let that happen. Well a few days later I went to the barn and noticed her in distress and struggling to have her pups. I could tell she was having trouble. I couldn't take it...I wrapped her in a blanket and took her to the vet where she proceeded to have *8* puppies via c-section!! :nshocked2: She'd actually had 9, but the one that was stuck was dead. I told the vet that she wasn't even my dog, and he didn't miss a beat...said, "you just bought one." LOL. I guess I did.

Anyway, took her and the pups home. She was so underweight she couldn't feed them so I bottlefed them for several days. I ended up having to bottle feed the runt for 4 weeks but she pulled through! I worked with a rescue to place the pups so now Bella is trying to adjust to life in a home where she is loved and cared for on a daily basis.

We have 2 other dogs...a pug and an australian cattle dog. Bella is unfamiliar with her new life but I think she is adapting well. She is fantastic with my kids, never barks, and is generally unlike what my previous assumptions about chi's had me thinking. I've rarely even been around a chi in real life! I'm pretty clueless! I wish I knew what she was mixed with. She looks totally chi except for her ears don't stand all the way up and she's on the tall and lanky side. She's 12 pounds. I will post a pic soon.

We are going to have her fixed but I'm not sure when I can do that after having pups. Her milk is almost gone now so I'm thinking soon. We know NOTHING about chi's and I am trying to learn as much as I can. The vet thinks she's about 4-5 years old and thinks she's had many litters of pups. She was full of worms and fleas and pitiful. She is well on her way to recovery. She's even a different color now that she's been getting good care! When I took her she was a very dull tan...and now she's a lovely deep gold color.

Anyway, wanted to give some background on us. I hope chi-mixes are welcome here! Looking forward to getting to know you all and more about this new breed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome. What an inspiring story, I wish there were more people like you in the world, can't wait to see the pics give bella a hug x

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome! My jax is a mix too, mostly chi but a little mini dachsund, too. What a rough time your baby had and how lucky she is to have met you!! We looked for a chi b/c my hubby loves the breed. I had only ever had big dogs. We brought home jax and I was completely hooked!

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
so glad to hear a happy ending to her journey and happy she found a warm and loving home now.... welcome to the forum.... and thank you for taking her in....

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have a mix, too, but he's straight out Chi in the personality department!

Welcome! Can't wait to see pics!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Hello and welcome.. thank you for being Bella's "guardian angel.." You will be rewarded many times over for your kind heart. Love to see pics of your new family addition..

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
hello and welcome. What a wonderful introduction. there are quite a few with chi mixes on here and all are welcome. Can't wait to see pic's of sweet little bella, glad she's doing well now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I second the guardian angel comment. I'm sure she and her puppies would be dead if you hadn't saved her.
Did you get to keep any of the puppies?.

·
Registered
894 Posts
You are so amazing for doing what you did! I agree with others, you're such an inspiration and I wish there were more people like you in the world! I can't wait to see pics of her.. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Thank you for being so compassionate and having such a big heart, you well have saved her life as well as the 8 others she had.

Can't wait for pictures, you're certainly welcome here.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Hello and welcome! Kudos to you for rescuing Bella, saving her pups, and giving Bella a loving foreve home. Please post pics of your Bella soon.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
That's awesome of you for recuing her! Wow, 8 pups. I was given a chi mix that then had pups 2 days after she was given to me, but she only had 2 pups. She's a chi mixed with I think some corgi as she has no tail. I also have a chi/ min pin mix and my daugher has a chi/terrier mix. Welcome and I would love to see pics of her.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Bless you for taking her in. Sounds like she really needed you. Ya know, sometimes we don't always get the dog we want. But we get the one we need. ;)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi and welcome thank you for shareing that beautiful story your little bella will be a great dog forever to you you saved her and her babies your a very good person

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Welcome to the forum, What a lucky little dog she is that you found her.
I hope she continues to do well and the same for the puppies. You mentioned
you had an Australian Cattle dog, are you an aussie? I only ask as there are very
few of us on this forum!
Cant wait for pics :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Aw, what a sweet and touching story! I am so glad it has a happy ending, thank you so much for sharing it. Nice to meet you, and good luck to you and your little lady!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts