Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there my name is Bella! I am 22, my furbabies and I live with my fiancee, Marlon, (24) in Va. I am originally from NY and hes from Cofradia Cortes in Honduras. Now let me tell you about my furbaby crew...

I have one Chihuahua named Tequila, for his fourth bday I got his paw print tattood on my ankle. He is my baby- end of story. I love him to death. He will be 5 on Feb 17, I brought him home when he was four months old and we have been inseperable ever since! He was semi raised with ferrets, after we'd been out of my moms house for about a year he was being really destructive whenever Marlon and I weren't home, Marlon thought that maybe he was lonely so we adopted a sprite (fixed female) ferret since he loved them so much as a pup, we call her Kahlua and they have bonded so well its rediculous. She was in nearly dead condition from her previous owner when we brought her home but I got her in good health and they we adopted Mojito, a gib (fixed male) ferret. He and Tequila love to rough house, its so adorable! When we got our apartment we found out it wasnt 100% vacant, its a basement level apartment and living in the back is Sailor Jerry the stray cat. He is a sad case but thats a whole other story entirely.

Were happy to be here :]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awww I have a rescue cat that I saved and bottle fed, I really admire that!
Rehabilitating animals is a passion of mine, my mom says its a hobby but I think I would make a good vet- its just the fact that im bad at math and so I'm pretty sure that id never make it into school and if I did id never graduate, just a pipe dream I guess. Tequila came to me from a breeder and Mojito's previous owner treated him well but Kahlua and Sailor Jerry both needed hard work and TLC to get healthy, I'm still working on Sailor Jerry. He has a ton of psychological damage as well, poor thing must have been really abused at one point. Bottle feeding can be super difficult, right on chica! It is so cool that you did that! How does the cat get on with your chihuahua?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Welcome, Kudos to you for rescuing. I work for a Vet (also my dad), and have bottle raised many a kitten :) In fact 3 of my cats are 'foster failures' that I bottle raised lol. I have Zoey my chihuahua, Ziva my min pin, Shellie my golden retriever, and 6 cats (DeeJay, Mini Dee, Munchie, Mercedes, Tigglet & Pumpkin. I also have 2 chinchillas, I love ferrets but my hubby is severely allergic to them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It was hard because she was sooo tiny, and her mom died after childbirth so she never got her moms milk. The vet thought she was going to die but thankfully it worked out and now she is overweight 6 years later hehe. I'm trying to get her to lose some weight. Tilly and her are not the best of friends yet, Sadie (cat) is a lil peeved I think, because she is used to all the attention and being only one and all. It will get better I hope!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome, Kudos to you for rescuing. I work for a Vet (also my dad), and have bottle raised many a kitten :) In fact 3 of my cats are 'foster failures' that I bottle raised lol. I have Zoey my chihuahua, Ziva my min pin, Shellie my golden retriever, and 6 cats (DeeJay, Mini Dee, Munchie, Mercedes, Tigglet & Pumpkin. I also have 2 chinchillas, I love ferrets but my hubby is severely allergic to them.
My fiancee is allergic to dogs which ruined Tequila's rein of the bed. He used to sleep with me and take up more bed than I did!!! But now he sleeps on the couch, i gave him the best comfoter in the house (down comforter) though. It still breaks my heart! Kahlua is very calm at night and can be trusted to not chew every wire in the house so sometimes I let her free roam all night so he has someone to sleep with. Mojito gets into way too much and chews wires when hes bored so I cant leave him out. When I lived with ferrets, i thought they were fun and lovely and I loved them as I love all animals but when I adopted Kahlua and nursed her back to health I started loving ferrets more and more. Now I couldn't imagine my life with out them, they are such a joy for me and Tequila and my fiancee. The only person who doesnt like them is Sailor Jerry and thats because hes afraid of them, poor confused little boy. I wish I at least worked for a vet but I couldn't take the time to go back to school to be a tech and I couldn't take the pay cut to do anything else. Healing animals is my passion but I could never get through school. I'm no good at math and I have to many learning disabilities. I just love being able to help them <3 I will do anything too. We took in a turtle overnight (we think he got lost from the lake in the woods behind our apartments) and we used to feed a bat that liked to hang out by the Ac/Heater room. Animals are just my thing, but like my mom told me- my ability to help them and care for them and cure them is a hobby and i need to get my head out of the clouds about one day making it a career

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was hard because she was sooo tiny, and her mom died after childbirth so she never got her moms milk. The vet thought she was going to die but thankfully it worked out and now she is overweight 6 years later hehe. I'm trying to get her to lose some weight. Tilly and her are not the best of friends yet, Sadie (cat) is a lil peeved I think, because she is used to all the attention and being only one and all. It will get better I hope!
Aww isnt it rewarding though, knowing you not only saved her life but you took her from surviving to thriving? I love that feeling!! It is the best in the world!
I think thats the same thing thats up Tequila's butt, with the ferrets he doesnt mind if I give them attention but he and the cat seem to both get some kind of twisted enjoyment out of the other's jealousy when I am petting one of them. I have to try to pet them at the same time while keeping them at a distance where no one can scratch/paw at/bite/claw the other.. It can be really difficult some days but its worth it to know that Sailor Jerry isnt suffering. He is still trying to get used to the indoors and prefers to be outside but hes coming around

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ya well my cat is a bit insane, the vet thinks its because when i found her someone had cut off her whiskers :( and she also was bottle fed which believe it or not sometimes has a bad effect on them mentally, so she can be mean. Not to me or my husband but to others, and animals, so I have to be careful and i NEVER leave them alone, I'm jus thoping it works out because I love them both. Well basically i will make it work hehe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya well my cat is a bit insane, the vet thinks its because when i found her someone had cut off her whiskers :( and she also was bottle fed which believe it or not sometimes has a bad effect on them mentally, so she can be mean. Not to me or my husband but to others, and animals, so I have to be careful and i NEVER leave them alone, I'm jus thoping it works out because I love them both. Well basically i will make it work hehe.
Ohh poor thing, see that just makes me want to cry- Who would want to cut off a poor cats wiskers? How heartless can people be!? They never cease to amaze me with their cold actions. I hope you can make it work, I know with Sailor Jerry he is freaked out by the ferrets and Kahlua's favorite toy is a cat, lol. She is so tiny and wimpy and yet she loves to fight cats... and other female ferrets. Shes weird. As for Tequila, at first he would let Sailor Jerry swipe at him and even hit him- now he doesn't stand for it. They don't fight exactally but Tequila sticks up for himself and then Sailor Jerry walks off on his tip toes with his tail up and his head high like "I am soo too good to argue with you" and then Tequila comes running to me and I love on him and its all good, lol. They are getting better little by litte

1 - 14 of 14 Posts