Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

I've started Isabelle on Raw yesterday (yay!). I'm just waiting for my ZP to arrive which i'll be using for around 3/4 meals. For her evening meal i'll be using raw tripe, fish, and chicken.
She has already previously been on these items but they were cooked (tripe was raw) so I don't think she will get a funny tummy. The problem is, last night she ate every drop of meat off the chicken wing but then left the bone as though it wasn't meat. I kept giving her it back and even held it but she wasn't interested. Any suggestions? She did a poo and it was fine this morning so at least she didn't react bad.

Also, what sort of amount should I be feeding her the ZP and meat? She is 6 months old, 4.8lbs and due in for her spay on Thursday. She is carrying a fair bit of puppy fat and could do with losing a couple of ounces.

Thanks for all your help (especially Tracy!!) with this diet :eek:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Awwww look at her go!! She's doing awesome!

If she's consistently eating the meat and leaving the bone, I'd get a hammer and smash the bone in the meat and make the wing floppy. She will get some bone as she eats and will get used to the crunch. :) It's just a learning curve.

Kiona had a dog that would carefully pick off every bit of meat and leave the bones completely intact! Funny! I think he did eventually learn to eat the bones once he learned they were edible... and yummy.

I'll let the ZP feeders chime in on the amounts, but maybe 1/2 a scoop would be a good starting point for a meal? If she starts to get chubby, cut back. If she's looking ribby, add a little more.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Tracy-I already shared "straight up" ZP amounts with her. I think she is asking if she adds in meat or perhaps alternates with things like the chicken wing.
That I do not know since for now my girls just get ZP.
Kayley-I might PM mchis and flippedstars. I know both feed raw alone but also premade raws (ZP/S&C/HK) with add-ins like scrambled eggs, cottage cheese and raw grinds.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys I'm so worried. It's been around 6 hours since Isabelle ate raw chicken and bone and she has just thrown up. She seems really off and unwell! Please help?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She threw up the chicken? Or bile? How often are you feeding her?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She threw up chicken. She is getting her usual 2 main meals a day with small natural treats in between which she has been on for months.
The only change is the Rae chicken and bone. Really want to know what's going on because I want to keep her on Raw but now my OH is annoyed and saying he doesn't want her on a diet that's going to make her vomit on the carpet. He is annoyed that I've fed her it and won't understand that it's good for dogs. I tried finding scientific research to show him that it's healthy but couldn't find any. He says he wants scientific proof. So annoyed, I really want her on this :-( x

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys.

I gave her a few more days eating the raw chicken and no more vomit since that first occasion, yay!!
The ZP arrived so she starts that too tomorrow.
She still isn't fantastic with the bones, even crushed I don't think she realises they're edible? Strange!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'm glad to hear this! Was just checking in to see how things were going. Sometimes dogs vomit, it's just 'one of those things' unless they are doing it routinely. (Just like babies urping up their milk).

After another week or so on chicken, you can branch out into other proteins and she may like those bones better. Pork riblets have small 'button' bones which are edible and also lamb breast is a favorite here. It's inexpensive and comes in a big slab, most of which is fatty. I trim off the fat and slice into ribs and Brody loves them. They are a softer bone. If you can find rabbit or quail, they have great edible bones. You can also do chicken breast/ribs/backs for bone content. Some regular chickens have pretty dense bones in the wings! Cornish hens are my favorite for bone content and a one pound hen can be chopped into about 8 pieces which are 2 ounces each and provide plenty of edibly meaty bones.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to invest in a good knife because i'm really struggling cutting through the meat and bones.
I'm going to get one of those small chickens and cut it up.
I think she could have been sick because I left the skin and fat on the wing the first time she ate it.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, it's good to trim fat/skin for a beginner. Later you can leave it on, but it can cause a puky tummy or diarrhea in a dog new to raw.

I find that a good cleaver works well or you can also get poultry shears. The scissors I have are very easy to use and cut right through the bones on a hen (and most chickens) with no trouble at all. Easier to use, for me, than a knife.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts