Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself. I recently adopted Juan from a family that no longer wanted him about a week ago. He's a little over one year old and I simply adore him! I've never owned a Chi but have owned Shitzus. He is unlike any other dog i've met. So far things are going great except for the fact that he never "tells" me that he has to go potty, I just take him out about every hour or so. Is this normal in Chi's? Will he eventually "tell" me when he has to go when he becomes more acclimated to his surroundings? Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Hi and welcome,my chi always scratches the door to go out,my Sheltie never asks i just let him out every couple of hours

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome and I'm new to chi's also! I'm learning lot's here. I have found this forrum to be beyond helpful and full of kind people.

·
Registered
195 Posts
my two pretty much will tell me when they want to go out by running to the back door and back to me etc but i always will let them out after every single nap and meal times.

Congratulations on your new arrival you must be very excited :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself. I recently adopted Juan from a family that no longer wanted him about a week ago. He's a little over one year old and I simply adore him! I've never owned a Chi but have owned Shitzus. He is unlike any other dog i've met. So far things are going great except for the fact that he never "tells" me that he has to go potty, I just take him out about every hour or so. Is this normal in Chi's? Will he eventually "tell" me when he has to go when he becomes more acclimated to his surroundings? Thanks for the help!

Welcome :) Glad you're enjoying your chi. To answer your question..no. He's not going to eventually know that he needs to alert you when he has to go out , lol.. you have to train him to do so. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! We're slowly adjusting to each other. We have some bad habbits to break, but were working on it day by day :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome :) Glad you're enjoying your chi. To answer your question..no. He's not going to eventually know that he needs to alert you when he has to go out , lol.. you have to train him to do so. :D
That is where I need help! So what did you do?
I take him out about every hour or so or after he eats and plays, I praise him and give him a treat if he goes, then repeat the process. Am I missing a step? Should I throw a bell in there or something? :D

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Just be patient potty training can take some time with chihuahuas...I am be reminding of that now with my 14 week old boy!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi buster is 5 months and hes getting so much better but i have to take him out every two hours or sooner last call as i tell him and louie 5 year old toy poodle is at 11 pm and hell sleep all night then immediatley go outside when he wakes up it does get alot better in time good luck hes very cute

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome to CP! :) I don't necessarily agree with the comment about him not eventually knowing to let you out, because if you're consistent, then you're automatically teaching him without any formal training. Many people think training requires set aside time for teaching, which in reality, you can integrate it into daily activities. For instance, all of mine were pad trained, or not trained at all. Anytime I want them to go outside, I'll say, "Outside" and everyone runs to the door. I don't work outside of my home, so mine aren't left unsupervised. If they are, then they're crated. I have a set routine....when they first get up, outside, when I get home, outside, 15-20mins after eating, outside, etc. When they are loose in the house, the rooms that I'm not in are shut off (doors are closed or baby gates up). I watch them constantly. If I see lots of sniffing or circling, instantly..."Outside". If I am busy doing something and don't want to try to be working and watching them, but don't want to crate either, then I put them on lead and attach it to me. When we go outside, I will tell them to "Go Potty" and as soon as it's done, lots and lots of praise. To go in, I'll say "Inside". They learn the cue words. After training many dogs, I've seen it commonly happen, without formal training, that they would come up to me and stare until I asked the right cue word. If I did, then they'd get all excited over it, whether it was "Outside", "Hungry", "Water", whatever. I hope this helps you some. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My recently adopted 10 year old Chi doesn't notify me, either. He appears well trained in other aspects so I a wondering if he had a little dog door in his former life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help and useful tips! This site is great! I recently found out that Juan has never been formally house trained. Apparently, his previous owners never paid attention to him so he just went in the house. So what I considered slow progress was actually a great achievement!:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts