Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone make anything special for New Years? I know it varies all over the world.

They say here a few things to eat, collard greens for money, grapes, donuts, black eyed peas for luck and money, pork for progress etc. etc.

Since I live here in the south I'm going to go regional this week and do a slow cooker ham and black eyed pea with some cornbread and maybe try my hand at some greens.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
That is just what my Mom cooks as she is in Arkansas. Even when she was out here, we always had to have black eyed peas for good luck. I will just be doing heavy appitizers. I wish she wasn't so far away...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds delish to me!

I'm off on Friday during the day so I can't wait to sit home with a slow cooker of beans and ham going, delicious!

I promised the OH instead of champagne we could get Patron this year, so that should make for an eventful night!

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
I grew up eating black-eyed peas and boiled cabbage on New Years Day..... I am surprised to this day that I survived that........lol

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
My friend and i take it in turns,we always do salad and all the bits & pieces and always make a very strong triffle with brandy (not sherry )we've been doing the same for 25 years

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
We have a massive roast beef dinner with yorkshires and all the trimmings the whole family come over we like to see the previous year well gone!
The kids open the rest of their presents too as neither my sister or I let the kids open them all on Xmas day as they get so many and don't appreciate them!

Then we have trifle Xmas pudding and whatever else for desert

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
That is just what my Mom cooks as she is in Arkansas. Even when she was out here, we always had to have black eyed peas for good luck. I will just be doing heavy appitizers. I wish she wasn't so far away...
LOL, yep, that's an Arkansas thing. That's where I live and black-eyed peas is must. A few years back I strated making "hoppin johns" that's pretty tasty too.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, yep, that's an Arkansas thing. That's where I live and black-eyed peas is must. A few years back I strated making "hoppin johns" that's pretty tasty too.
Yeah, that's what i'm going to make is a modified hoppin john.

Slow cooker some bacon, black eyed peas, onions and garlic let that go all day, with some creole seasoning. Perhaps a little green onion, and pour over some long grain rice.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it, I think instead of making cornbread i'll make a sweet cornbread casserole - but don't tell my superstitious guests it has sour cream in it! (They're crazy about the things they wont eat on New Years!)

·
Registered
162 Posts
We have a massive roast beef dinner with yorkshires and all the trimmings the whole family come over we like to see the previous year well gone!
The kids open the rest of their presents too as neither my sister or I let the kids open them all on Xmas day as they get so many and don't appreciate them!

Then we have trifle Xmas pudding and whatever else for desert

Oh my oh my oh my!!!! Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding. My all time favorite dinner!!! My mothers family is British- she is half English and half Scottish, (she was raised by her Victorian English grandmother). My mother was taught to cook by said grandmother, and Roast Beef and Yorkshire was a standard for special occasions in our house. My parents now live 3 hours away, and boy do I miss it! I've tried to make it my self, but it can be tricky to get that Yorkshire right, and I just don't have the knack.... My mom says I need to practice. Lol.... Great, now my mouth is watering!!!!
:)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
We are having a Turkey with grain free stuffing, homemade sugar free cranberry sauce & a veggie of some sort.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Growing up we always had sauerkraut, blacked eyes peas and kielbasa, oh and mashed potatoes for New Years(and yep born and raised in the south)...since hubby doesn't do the first two..I've modifed to ham, black eye pea salad, coleslaw and haven't deciced on a starch yet...:)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yeah, that's what i'm going to make is a modified hoppin john.

Slow cooker some bacon, black eyed peas, onions and garlic let that go all day, with some creole seasoning. Perhaps a little green onion, and pour over some long grain rice.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it, I think instead of making cornbread i'll make a sweet cornbread casserole - but don't tell my superstitious guests it has sour cream in it! (They're crazy about the things they wont eat on New Years!)
Us southern folks are pretty fickled about New Year eattin. lol My husband is from Ohio and he thinks I'm crazy, but hey he's in my part of the country, I'm not in his so he just has to live with it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Us southern folks are pretty fickled about New Year eattin. lol My husband is from Ohio and he thinks I'm crazy, but hey he's in my part of the country, I'm not in his so he just has to live with it.
Boy isn't that the truth. If I weren't off work tomorrow I wouldn't do it anyway haha, too much work. Technically i'm just making the hoppin john so I have have leftovers for the weekend haha, my OH can't even eat it!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh my oh my oh my!!!! Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding. My all time favorite dinner!!! My mothers family is British- she is half English and half Scottish, (she was raised by her Victorian English grandmother). My mother was taught to cook by said grandmother, and Roast Beef and Yorkshire was a standard for special occasions in our house. My parents now live 3 hours away, and boy do I miss it! I've tried to make it my self, but it can be tricky to get that Yorkshire right, and I just don't have the knack.... My mom says I need to practice. Lol.... Great, now my mouth is watering!!!!
:)

Can you not buy ready made ones there?? Yorkshires can be a pain there's a fool proof recipe somewhere I'll try find it for you
I got accosted by my mother in tesco today and asked if I'd make a pavlova for one of the deserts how annoying so guess what I'll e doing tomorrow haha

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nope, no ready made ones here! Please find me a fool proof recipe! That would be great!!!! Thank you!!!! :D:D:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts