Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Administrator
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new butcher is turning out to be a treasure trove of delicacies for the dogs. I have been trying to increase the variety of organs they get and have now been able to add sweetbread (pancreas) and melts (spleen). They also stock liver and kidney from all animals. The sweetbreads were yummy apparently, we haven't tried the melts yet.
In addition I can now get bone-in wild rabbit on a regular basis (YAY!), and many different kinds of heart. We could only get lambs heart from the supermarket before, but now have an ox heart in the freezer and they had chicken hearts for their tea, which went down very well.
They also sell caul fat, I'm not sure whether to try it or not. It is the membrane that encases the internal organs, not sure if there is much nutritional value to it. Anyone know? It was very cheap, and didn't look at all fatty, despite it's name.

· Registered
14,454 Posts
I LOVE IT!!! What a great variety! Man, you are lucky. :)

I don't know anything about caul fat? Sounds interesting.

· Administrator
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know! I'm especially pleased about the rabbit :D
Caul fat is used for wrapping ******* and so on, but I can't find anything at all about its nutritional value. Lol I'm so educated about offal now, I had no idea what sweetbreads and melts were before!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.