Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Kelly and I do not currently have any chihuahuas. I am a stay at home Momma to 4 kids. We are also getting our feet wet in the dog show world. We have maltese that we show and breed. I don't currently have a malt that I show, but my daughter is showing her maltese in junior showmanship. My second daughter will be old enough to show next year and has her heart set on a long coated female chi.

So we have been shopping around for a retiree for her to have as a pet and to show. I have also been lurking here and researching chis as I have never owned one and want to be as informed as possible before we eventually find one.

I am very glad to be a part of this community and look forward to getting to know everyone!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You'll find the site very informative. I'm from Tennessee also, Nashville to be exact.

I'm a little confused by something you said.....how can you show a retiree? The whole point of putting a retiree out for adoption is because they're done being showdogs. Either that or they've been retired from breeding. Either way they'll be spayed or neutered before they're adopted out, so won't that make them ineligible for showing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Tink! I am in Clarksville!

Junior showmanship is different than regular conformation. The juniors are being judged for their handling skills, not the dog. The only requirements for junior dogs are they must be AKC and be owned by the junior or someone in the junior's immediate family. For example, we got my oldest daughter's Maltese from a show breeder and he was show quality until he kept growing! He is 2.5-3 lbs over standard so we had him neutered and now he is her pet and her show dog. It doesn't matter initially if the junior's dog isn't to standard. But as the junior ages and climbs the "ranks" it does help to have a show quality dog as the judges seem to look better on those that have a show quality dog, and it helps the junior's over-all presentation.

I am looking for a retiree or a chi that has show experience because my oldest daughter has a malt that had never been in the ring. So she is learning to handle a dog, how to groom, and train him all at the same time. I just think starting off with a dog that already knows how to show is helpful because then the junior can just concentrate on learning the grooming and conformation. Later on in their show career I think it would be easier to get a puppy and train them as the junior would already know what they are doing, KWIM?

We are planning on being at the show in Franklin on the 30th and I plan on speaking to a breeder I met at our last show (this last weekend).

Clear as mud? lol I hope I answered your question. Also if anyone knows of a show breeder in TN or the surrounding areas, please LMK!!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts