Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1 1/2 year old deer-faced chihuhua named chili who has/had two retained canines. last night when she was chewing on one of her toys it one of her retained cainines dislodged like it was going to fall out, but her licking appeared to lodge it back in place. though it was loose (i felt the tooth) we did not know what to do. my innitial feeling was to let the tooth fall out and make sure she had no excessive bledding and make sure her gums were ok. well this morning the tooth was gone and her gums look fine. is this ok? sorry to be so lenghty but i it's a odd situation to describe. any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
:wave: First welcome to the board.....my chi had a similar situation her lower canines did not fall out, the adult teeth just grew in right behind them, I finally had the vet extract them, because the retained teeth were causing plaque to build up in between them and they were irritating her upper gums.

I would think that if the tooth fell out on its own and the gums do not look bad, then you just saved yourself the expense of having to have it extracted by the vet :wink: now hopefully the other will come out on its own as well.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Hi and Welcome :hello2:

My chi Sandy had the same thing. Only it was her upper canines.
When I had her spayed at 6 months I asked the vet and she said to wait until Sandy was 9 months old and if the baby teeth hadn't fallen out by then they would pull them. Fortunately they both fell out, so she won't have to have the surgery.
When the first one got loose she was licking funny so I looked in her mouth and noticed the canine was sort of flopping around. I moved it around and saw it was only holding on by a tiny piece of gum so I pulled it out. It blead for a few seconds.
The second one I found on the floor about a month later.
But it is recommended that they be pulled if they don't fall out on their own.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Kemo has several loose teeth and I never knew it! They had to be pulled. He still has one baby tooth that we are waiting for and he is 20 mos!!

The sad part is his backyard breeding cause he has no adult teeth to replace alot of his baby teeth.

Plus he needs braces but we arent going there...............

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Hello & Welcome. I hope your babies other tooth does fall out on it's own. I would hate the thought of having to have them pulled :wave:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts