Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI there

I have added a new family member called Rocco, he is now nearly 10 weeks old and i have had him for about a week now. He is doing fine health wise and I am feeding him on james wellbeloved puppy kibble. I have no experience in chihuahua puppies so i would like some advice when putting my puppy to bed. We put him in the dining room with his bed and he seems to howl most of the night. We have tried putting a hot water bottle in bed in case he was cold with an extra blanket and a teddy and last night I resorted to trying leaving a radio on but nothing seems to have worked. He has the run of the dining room cos I dont see the point of putting him in a cage due to the fact we leave water & food out for him all night. Also he hasn't worked out how to poo and wee on his training mats yet so cant see him lasting all night.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Firstly i would love to see pics of Rocco, we love pics here. lol

Anyway with mine i have always used a crate to start with and had it in my bedroom at night.
I put it next to my bed.
This worked a treat for Darla as a puppy.
I also didnt leave food and water out all night cause then they will poo and pee.
For a few weeks i set an alarm and got up to let them pee etc...every 2 to 3 hours.
This was only when they were weeks old mind you and couldnt hold it for the full night.
I placed a blanket over the crate and had a heating pad that you put in the microwave.
Also a blanket i had been sleeping with, or just something with my scent on it.

Dillon howled constantly in the crate though so after a good few atempts with that i just let him sleep in the bed with me and the girls too.
Only cause my neighbours complained otherwise i would have kept at it till he was a bit older, then let him in bed.
All of them last till 8am when i get up now.

Their last meal is at 10pm and i lift the water after that too.
It is a lot of work with a wee pup but they soon get the hang of it.

You could also try DAP spray, and just spray a little into the crate, on the bedding etc...
It's a replica of the pheramone the mum would give off, and is supposed to be good for comforting young pups.
I have only just started to use this and the plug in diffuser cause Dillon gets stressed when i leave the room too long.
LOL he is work in progress.

Anyway am sure others will have ideas too.
Hopefully your wee one will settle soon. x

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Welcome! I am thinking of 2 possible reasons why he is carrying whining during the night. the first is that chihuahuas typically need to stay with their mother and siblings until they re 12 weeks of age. And the second is that chihuahuas are bred as champanion dogs and being such they want human contact all the time! My chi sleeps next to me on our bed. Chihuahuas are very loving and extremely loyal to their owner. They tend to attatch to an individual and stay with that person. My chihuahua even follows me around all day around the home.

·
Registered
483 Posts
hi and welcome to the site, why dont you reconsider putting him in a cage, thats what i did with roxi and she was fine after a 2 nights, i think its safety thing, now roxi uses it as a safe place to go and eat aswell, also i wouldnt leave food or water down all night as then he might pee and poo all night. i also had roxi in the room with me in the cage. why dont you give that ago? hope he sleeps well soon and congrats on the new arrival. :D
HI there

I have added a new family member called Rocco, he is now nearly 10 weeks old and i have had him for about a week now. He is doing fine health wise and I am feeding him on james wellbeloved puppy kibble. I have no experience in chihuahua puppies so i would like some advice when putting my puppy to bed. We put him in the dining room with his bed and he seems to howl most of the night. We have tried putting a hot water bottle in bed in case he was cold with an extra blanket and a teddy and last night I resorted to trying leaving a radio on but nothing seems to have worked. He has the run of the dining room cos I dont see the point of putting him in a cage due to the fact we leave water & food out for him all night. Also he hasn't worked out how to poo and wee on his training mats yet so cant see him lasting all night.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My chi sleeps with my Hubby & I, but if you don't want that, you could try rubbing a stuffed animal all over you for scent & putting it in a cage for Rocco. Maybe play soft soothing music might comfort him.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Fiddle used to cry even when i had her in my room, next to my bed. I would just put my hand through the crate so she knew i was there and i stroked here a little. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply people. My bed is next to the window so i cordoned off the bottom on my side and just put his bed down on the floor next to me and i put 2 training pads down which covered the rest of the floor and he has stopped howling altogether. I think he must of just been lonely, also i stopped giving him food and water after 10pm and that seems to have worked as well( i still wake up to the odd poo and little stain of wee but am happy so far so thanks guys

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Is it in your profile albumn?
Cause i cant see it in a thread in the chi pics bit. lol
Will go look at your own pics now. x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts