Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have been reading a lot of threads and need some advise. I am planning to buy a new Chi puppy in about 3-4 weeks time. I am single, work long hours at the hospital. Many breeders have turned me down or say that I should buy 2 puppies at the same time. I have an apartment but I would really like to have a chi as my companion. Do you think it would be fair to a dog if I were gone from 7 am to 6 pm 5 days a week? Do you think I should wait and not buy a puppy right now?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't get a Chihuahua if you don't have that much time to spend with it. They are people centric dogs. I work full time and so does my husband but he starts and finishes earlier than I do so our dogs are only alone for about 6 hours a day. Even with this arrangement I got a second dog within 2 months because I felt like my first was lonely by himself.

Maybe consider a cat since they are much more self sufficient (although i'm not a cat person, it was a dog or nothing for me so I went 10 years without one because I didn't have the right kind of home to offer a dog until now).

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I probably would wait, or consider getting an older dog. That would be too long to leave a young puppy alone. Even with an older dog, you would have to leave it with potty pads or something, there is no way it could "hold it" that long, and 11 hours would be wayyy to long in a crate.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I agree with the others that this would probably be too long to leave a puppy alone. I wouldn't even really recommend getting an older Chi because like Sarah said, they are very attached to their people. Plus you would still have to have someone be able to swing by a couple times per day to let the older Chi out. Or you would have to retrain him or her to use puppy pads if they're not already accustomed to them, which could take a lot of work.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I agree that your present situation is not in the best interest of a chi, or any other dog breed. I think Sarah's suggestion of a cat may be something for you to consider. They are more independent and able to entertain themselves when not sleeping.. which they do alot..lol

·
Registered
370 Posts
im disabled n am at home 24/7 except for groceries n drs appts.i have 4 chis currently(the numb fluctuates bcause i take in fosters also)but i still feel like i dont have enuf time for all my chis.chis love their mom or dad n build their world around them so i think they would end up being very depressed to b alone that much.not only would u b working long hours but youd want to relax-most likely-when u got home.at least u took the time to ask instead of being selfish n just running out n getting what YOU wanted.wait until u have a less demanding job or,as was said earlier,get a cat.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
This is a controversial topic. You have to weigh all of the options and decide for yourself what is best.

That is a very long time for a tiny puppy. I will agree with that.

I often feel as if I am odd man out around here. I happen to work full time outside my home.

I am going to have a dog or dogs.

I do not have a "job" that I can just quit to care for dogs. I have established a 26 year long career at a major corporation. It is not practical nor realistic to just quit at this point.

I would not tell a person who works full time outside the home that they should not have children, for example, if they are going to be put in day care.

My girls do well together and frankly having a person come by is more distressing to them than them having a predictable routine. Especially for a couple of ours.

We are home weekends and evening. They are not crated. Unless we are gone to work, they are out and have the run of most of our home. Such as while we do things that they cannot join like going to the grocery store.

Is there a way for you to borrow a dog from a friend or foster a dog to see how you and the dog manage and the things involved or do you have your heart set on a new puppy?

We have a service (3 actually in my area, 2 of which we are registered) that will do puppy visits and they also do things such as visit homes to administer medication take dogs on walks and the like.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have to ask if you have thought about doggie daycare or if maybe you have a friend or close neighbour that can spend a few hours with your pup while your at work? I think if you could find someone to come in around the four hour mark and spend an hour playing or walking your dog it may be just enough that it would be fine and your pup could adjust no problem or of course. Another solution would be is to get 2 pups so that they have the company of each other while your gone. If this is not possible than I would say to hold off on getting a puppy until you have more time to spend with him/her.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My sister works a full time jod and is gone for about 9 hours a day. When her dogs where puppies she took them to a doggy day care and picked them in the evening just like you would a child. Another option is find someone you know check in on the pup while you are work.

You said in 2-3wks you where going to get one, i would use that time to figure out away to make things work for both you and the pup.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I would look for a dog that is a little more independent or consider a different animal.
As for a puppy they require a lot of time. They need taken a lot more than an adult dog. My Jaxx is 9 months old and is just now getting where he doesn't ask to go out every couple hours.
I would never discourage anyone from getting a chi because they are a fantastic breed but they also love to be around their owners.
You also have to consider that if you get a puppy your workday us too long for them to be crated. A playpen may work but you will still have the problem of the puppy being alone a lot.
I have had dogs when I worked long hours full time but they were not puppies.
In the end though you have to do what is best for you and your future dog. Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts