Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day fellow Chi l❤vers,
My name is Christine and I am the proud and lucky mommy to Pocito. My baby is a 15 month old fawn colored deer head and he is my best friend. Last June he chose me to be his owner as I have never purchased a dog from a breeder nor did I plan to at the time of our chance meeting. My best friends neighbour(a dog breeder) paraded 3 tiny puppies out to meet us and then she introduced us to the "runt" whom wasn't spoken for and I feel in love. Immediately he fell asleep on my shoulder and that's when I knew he was ment to come home with me. After much running around for puppy supplies Pocito was at his new home by 9 pm the very same nite. Love at first sight is the word I'd use😍.

By luck today I found this group and decided to join as I read a few posts and realized how kind, caring and helpful the members were. I need help. Pocito is 5lbs and is a pretty good eater. He loves fruit and has always eaten carrots as a snack and the same kibbles as he normally does with any problems but Lately he has been suffering from terrible dirreaha. aside from that he appears very healthy and much like himself. We have been to the vets with a sample for testing and had an 8 day supply of Metronidazole given to is and was told to feed him canned Hills prescription diet I/d gastrointestinal health. His dirreaha stopped after just a day, we finished off the prescription but a couple days after it was done he was back to having the same problems. He has been checked for parasites and any disease the vet can test at the office and she has prescribed him the same round of meds and a new diet of the gastrointestinal kibble now too. Suggestions have been made that he may have a bowel disease,IBS, an infection but the vet isn't sure. Has anyone ever had issues like this that may have any helpful suggestions/ideas as to what maybe causing this to my poor baby? Maybe specific test that could be done.There is alot of "stuff" out there on the Internet to read and its hard to sort through and understand everything and even know what to believe. I'm just looking for any ideas as to how I can help my baby or offer ideas to my vet as to what we can do next.
I feel helpless as he can't tell me what's wrong but I feel by writing this in one step closer to helping him. Thank you for giving me a place to turn when I'm in need of help😊

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Our cat had ibs she was on metronidazole and also steroids,that did help ,What fruit are you feeding ? not sure fruit is good if he has the runs,maybe too much acid

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I'm going through soft stools now with Angel. At times it's runny, but has some soft shape. I'm feeding him chicken and rice or hamburger and rice. Since I just went through this with my golden! The vet gave her antibiotics and something to make her stools hard. I don't know what it was, but it seems to be okay now, five days later. So before I take Angel to the vet, I a, trying the rice and meat. Otherwise, he is playful and fine! So maybe you could try some chicken (boiled or steamed) with rice til it clears up.

Hope he is better soon!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Maybe mix some canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling, real pumpkin) into his food? It may help firm things up!

Welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have stopped giving him any of the fruit he loves while this problem has been happening so I am sure it isn't that and up until yesterday his kibbles have been the same since he was 12 weeks old. His dirreaha has stopped now because of the meds from the vet but unfortunately that isn't solving the real issue only temporarily stopping it. I agree that rice is very good to help dogs with these issue but I've never added any chicken or hamburger to it. Thanks for the ideas everyone and for making me feel welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts