Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody-I've been lurking on this site for a long time-This forum is a great source of information and I love the pictures! I have 2 chi's,they are littermates and were born 03/31/04, Tiki is a male and solid black with a little white on his chin(he's our chickendog)Lola is fawn with black sabling and is the boss. Tiki is 3.14lbs and Lola is 3.12lbs but she is too skinny- in November our new vet said she was a bit thin (at the time she would'nt eat her food unless we mixed babyfood with it) otherwise she seemed perfectly healthy-very active, friendly(she loves almost everybody)Anyway, everytime we've been to the vet she's gained a few ounces so they said just to keep an eye on her. Last week my daughter had a week off school,so she went to her dads and took Tiki&Lola with her. Her stepmother was so concerned that she took Lola to her vet without even consulting me :evil: and he did a blood test. Last night she called me to tell me that whatever they checked-she did'nt remember what it was-were 2xs what they were supposed to be and he wants to do a ALT test to rule out hepatitis :shock: I want to talk to him myself, but he's not going to be in the office until tomorrow. I did'nt sleep last night and I'm heartsick. If anyone out there has any ideas-I need all the help I can get!--Thanks and sorry my 1st post is a downer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I wish I could help you with your puppy but I don't know anything about Hepatitis or what it could do to a puppy. I hope everything turns out ok for her.

I completely understand how you feel about your x's wife taking her to the vet without asking or saying anything to you. My mom would be through the roof if my step-mom did something like that. In this situation at least her vet may have thought of something that your vet didn't which may be good for Lola in the long run (love the name btw). I hope you are able to get in touch with the vet soon and get a full run down of what he did, why, what he found and what the next step is. Maybe if you call or go there a vet tech would be able to fill you in on at least what tests were done and the results.

Good Luck, Lola will be in out thoughts!

·
Registered
677 Posts
It was INCREDIBLY rude for 'the new wife" (which is what my mom calls them :lol: ) to take your dog to the vet without consulting you first. However it may be a good thing if it helps you chi get completely healthy.

Hope everything goes well for you and your chis.

Oh and welcome :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Sorry I can't be of help with your questions. I understand being upset about taking your baby to the vet without consulting you. Hopefully, you will be able to get in touch with the vet soon. If she was going to take her to the vet and call you with disturbing news, the least she could have done was have all the facts and information. Good grief! :evil:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanksfor the welcome. Even though I was annoyed at the time, obviously there is something wrong with my girl--hopefully whatever is wrong with her was caught early enough that it can be treated and my baby will live the long, happy,healthy life she is supposed to. Lola has an appointment for the ALT test tomorrow. My daughter took her to her dad's and poor Tiki is stuck here with me, he does'nt know what to do with himself without her. He's standing on my lap right now looking over my shoulder crying for her :angel10: All prayers are greatly appreciated :angel10:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Welcome!! Hope everything turns out well for little Lola. She sounds like my Chloe, she is 19months and weighs 3lbs. She goes through spells of being a picky eater :roll: But right now she is eating everything that is not nailed down! Keep us informed....... :)

sandra

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
:wave: welcome :wave:

I know you aare upset with the new wife but at least she did a good thing.. she was thinking about your baby... and maybe it is a good thing this vet is finding something...

hopefully it will all work out good and your lillte lola will be happy and healthy...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got the test reults back and it's not good :cry: apparently her blood is not processing through her liver appropriately-they said it could be congenital or acquired-They gave her a year :cry: if she does'nt lose any weight- I have to talk directly to the vet tomorrow- :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally talked to the vet and he said something about a shunt that is making the blood flow around her liver instead of through or into it. She needs a diagnostic procedure done to find out for sure & depending on the shunt, she may or may not be a candidate for surgery--if there is no shunt,then they have to do a biopsy on her liver. He said he does'nt think she'll make a year if we do nothing--we'll know more after the diagnostic procedure-If it's what he thinks it is and she can have surgery,and she does'nt have complications-he thinks he can prolong her life. Thanks for the concern and prayers.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
oh hun! i'm so sorry! i just read this thread now. prayers going your way!!

if you need anything let me know, we are practically neighbors ya know! and when your daughter takes her with her and the little guy is lonely we could get together and introduce chiwi and him :wave:

i hope that everything turns out well. ((hugs))

(i would have been mad if the new wife took her to the vet without telling you or getting her other records... but she redeemed herself because now you are able to work on what the problem is... bittersweet. [email protected] her for taking it upon herself but good that something was found....)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the support everyone! We can't get the ultrasound done until late next week or the following week-I'll post an update as soon as I know anything-Her best bet will be if it is a congenital shunt,so I'm hoping for that! Luv--I'd love to get our chis together,I'm hoping to go to your meet up on Sunday but I don't know if I can. Nate-No matter what happens, I am in your debt forever,just add me to your list of cheerleaders on this forum :wink: This forum is really lucky to have someone like you! PS-Lola thanks you,too "Woof-Woof,Nate"*licky,licky* :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts